"Direct Entry" raises questions

The College of Nursing's "Direct Entry" program may cause problems for those looking for nursing jobs after graduation, according to former students.

The Wisconsin Board of Nursing questioned the legality of the university's "Direct Entry" program for non-nurses at its meeting last Thursday.

Judith Miller, associate dean for graduate programs, presented on behalf of Marquette at the meeting. The Board of Nursing decided to hold the matter over to its next meeting on Oct. 4, according to Debra Kraft, interim general counsel for the Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing.

According to Ellen Rudy, interim dean of the College of Nursing, the "Direct Entry" program is a 15-month pre-master's program in which an applicant is admitted directly as a graduate student. The program is designed for students who wish to become nurses and have already received baccalaureate degrees in fields other than nursing, according to Brigid O'Brien Miller, director of university communication.

Rudy said students do not graduate or receive a degree after completing the program, but they are eligible to become a registered nurse in the state of Wisconsin. Rudy said the program serves as a "fast track" to a master's degree, giving students the opportunity to function as a registered nurse part time while they are studying.

"The program has become so popular and people love it," Rudy said.

According to Rudy, there were around 800 applicants for 48 positions.

Questions were raised about the program after former student <a href="Lydia Bertrand was unable to become a nurse-midwife after completing the program. Bertrand was a member of the program in 2004-'05.

Bertrand said before students entered the program they had to sign a "Memorandum of Understanding" stating that students would not receive bachelor's degrees from the university but that they would be eligible for RN licensure in Wisconsin after completing the 15-month pre-master's degree portion.

Bertrand said she discovered this meant she could not get a license in other states when her application for a license in Mississippi was rejected.

According to the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act 441.04, a potential nurse needs to hold a "diploma of graduation" from a nursing school in order to receive licensure in the state. But Marquette's program has a "special agreement" with the state and does not issue a diploma to students after completing the program, Miller said.

"The program obviously does not meet the criteria for RN licensure set forth in the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act 441.04 if they do not issue a degree or diploma," Bertrand said.

About Bertrand's case, Rudy said Bertrand does not meet the qualifications for receiving a degree because she did not take the core curriculum at the undergraduate level.

"It's very unfortunate for this student since she had to move," Rudy said.

Elaine Boehm completed the program in June and spoke at Thursday's meeting.

"I reiterated and clarified that the Wisconsin Nurse Practice Act requires graduation from an accredited nursing program, that Judith Miller and her associates have been adamant in their claim that Marquette does not graduate the pre-Master of Science in Nursing students," Boehm said.

Bertrand said the program is against Wisconsin state law.

"The Wisconsin Board of Nursing has been issuing nursing licenses to Marquette's "Direct Entry" students at the completion of the pre-(master's) portion of the program illegally for the last eight years," Bertrand said.

Kraft said the next Wisconsin Board of Nursing meeting will hold general discussion about the subject and that any legal issues will be held in closed session.