Extreme makeover scheduled for 1212 Building

"The building is beyond its useful worth," university architect Thomas Ganey said.,”The 1212 Building, named for its location at 1212 W. Wisconsin Ave., has an appointment for some major reconstructive surgery. The building is scheduled to be demolished in May 2008 and rebuilt on the same location.

According to Thomas Ganey, director of facilities planning, design and construction, the building's systems are worn down and there have been problems with the plumbing, roof and other aspects.

"The building is beyond its useful worth," he said. "The cost of repair is more than what the building is worth."

Ganey said the building will be rebuilt starting the summer of 2008 and should be ready for occupancy by late 2009.

According to Ganey, the goal of constructing the new 1212 Building is to give better access to student services by providing a "one-stop shopping" area so students no longer have to walk around campus from building to building.

The 1212 Building currently houses a variety of administrative offices. Ganey said plans for the new building remain in the beginning of the design stage, but he said the new 1212 will be used to house the same administrative offices, as well as president offices and student services.

Ganey said the new building will free up space in Marquette Hall that can be used as additional academic space.

Employees working in the current 1212 building are being moved out in preparation of the construction. Ganey said he hopes to have everyone out by March or April 2008.

According to Lauren Lakomek, student intern for the Office of the President and a sophomore in the College of Communication, people from University Advancement and other offices have already started moving out of the 1212 Building and into other buildings on campus.

Stephanie Propsom, a junior in the College of Business Administration who works on the fifth floor of the 1212 Building, said moving out is a "huge hassle."

"I don't really see any problems with the functioning of the building itself," Propsom said.

She said the stairs are the worst problem with the building because they are designed poorly.

Propsom said her area of the building was disrupted by a pipe burst, which caused damage to the area. She said she received an e-mail saying that she has to be out of the building by October or November.