Soccer program receives $1 million gift

Goal! Marquette soccer fans have a new thing to cheer about. After receiving a $1 million donation from Marquette alumnus Dennis Klein, the Athletic Department now plans to build a new soccer stadium on the current game site at Valley Fields.

"I love being involved with the school," Klein said.,”Marquette soccer fans have a new 'goal' to cheer about. After receiving a $1 million donation from Marquette alumnus Dennis Klein, the Athletic Department now plans to build a new soccer stadium on the current site at Valley Fields.

The stadium, scheduled to open by September 2008, will feature a natural-grass pitch, locker rooms, concessions and partially covered spectator seating, according to a University News Brief.

"I love being involved with the school," Klein said. "I have a lot of respect for (men's soccer coach) Louis Bennett, and this is a great way for his program to take off."

When he is not busy as chairman of KBS Construction Inc., Klein said he enjoys watching his sons play soccer, which helped spark his generosity. Klein said KBS Construction is working with Marquette as a client but he is not overseeing the construction of the facility, though the university is keeping him informed of the entire process.

According to interim athletic director Steve Cottingham, the design and plans are not yet finalized. He said the cost cannot be accurately estimated until the design is finished, but a University News Brief estimated it at about $5 million.

Cottingham said the cost will be funded through private gifts. If all goes well, construction of the new stadium should commence after the last home soccer game this fall, according to the news brief.

Cottingham said the goal of the new facility is to drastically improve Marquette's home field advantage. He said a new stadium should bring a greater fan base and a much more competitive home field atmosphere. He said the stadium will seat more than 2,500 spectators.

"We're always looking to give the teams the opportunity to compete successfully," Cottingham said.

He said he hopes the new facility will act for the soccer program as the Al McGuire Center has acted for Marquette's basketball program.

Klein said he believes the Big East Conference is the best conference in the sport and that building a new soccer facility is something that Marquette needs to do to keep up with the competition.

"My goal is to have Marquette be a Final Four team in the next four years, and I believe that coach Bennett has the ability to make that happen," Klein said.

Cottingham said the new soccer stadium will be named after the Klein family.

Mike Broeker, deputy athletics director, said the new stadium will help raise the profiles of an already successful women's team and the men's team, which is now led by a coach with a history of success.

"A great university combined with a great facility will greatly impact the profile of the program," Broeker said.