Running on hallowed ground

For the rest of their lives, juniors Cassie Peller and Scott Mueller and senior Tommy Schmitz can brag about running on the same track as Olympian Steve Prefontaine, who attended the University of Oregon from 1969 to 1973.,”

The track and field team sent three distance runners to the Oregon Invitational at the legendary Hayward Field Friday in Eugene, Ore.

For the rest of their lives, juniors Cassie Peller and Scott Mueller and senior Tommy Schmitz can brag about running on the same track as Olympian Steve Prefontaine, who attended the University of Oregon from 1969 to 1973.

"Just thinking about all the great races there makes you feel a part of something bigger than yourself, running in the same footsteps as the legends of the past," Schmitz said. "Hayward Field has been home to so many Olympians and record performances, it just makes you want to step it up a notch."

After jumping out to the lead after 800 meters, Schmitz had a disappointing finish due to poor pacing in the 1,500-meter run. Peller, on the other hand, set a new personal best in the 1,500m (4:24.55). The mark qualified her for the NCAA Midwest Regional.

"The atmosphere was incredible because there were professionals running with us," Peller said. "A woman in the heat before me ran in the 2004 Olympics. I was like, ''Wow!''

Peller needs to trim about five seconds from her new personal best to qualify for the national championship, she said.

"That I ran this way this early is encouraging," Peller said. "I was talking with coach (Dave) Uhrich and we were going over some numbers and we think (qualifying for the national championship) is definitely a possiblity."

Mueller finished third of the collegiate runners in the 10,000m and seventh overall.