Three in one

"Absolutely. She is a huge asset to us," said head coach Dave Uhrich. "She is extremely consistent."

Her consistently competitive marks in three different competitions — the hammer throw, discus and shot put — sew up three needs for Marquette.,”

Junior Jenna Mahaffey could not be more important to the women's track team.

Her consistently competitive marks in three different events — the hammer throw, discus and shot put – sew up three needs for Marquette. Most track athletes fill just one.

Mahaffey does more than simply take up roster holes, though. At last year's outdoor Big East Championship, she finished in the top 10 in all three events. In the discus, her specialty, she finished fourth and qualified for the NCAA Regional meet.

She now has her eyes on qualifying for her second consecutive regional. To do so, Mahaffey said she needs to be in top form at the Big East Outdoor meet, to be held May 4 and 5 in Storrs, Conn.

"The conference meet is the whole reason we do all this," she said. "It's why we put in the work.

"Things don't always work out, you might have a bad day. But I put a lot of faith in the coaches and know that they are training us right. When I need to be at my best, I'm confident they will have me there."

Senior pole vaulter Kristin Stoniecki agrees that Mahaffey is in line for another trip to the Regional.

"She is such a hard worker," Stoniecki said. "That pays off, and I know how much she wants to get back to the Regionals."