Courtney impresses at Saluki Spring Classic

None of the runners were more impressive than senior Michaela Courtney, who embarrassed the competition at the Saluki Spring Classic in Carbondale, Ill.,”

In Marquette's first outdoor track meet, the men's and women's upperclassmen distance runners showed why experience and quality training habits can pay off.

None of the runners were more impressive than senior Michaela Courtney, who embarrassed the competition at the Saluki Spring Classic in Carbondale, Ill. Courtney, who qualified for the NCAA Championships in the 1,500-meter run last season, finished the 5000m in 16:52.56 Saturday. Next best was Illinois State Kathleen Thompson's 17:48.57.

"(Courtney) looked completely like she did last year," head coach Dave Uhrich said of Courtney, who has battled several injuries this season.

"This was definitely a good start to the outdoor season," Uhrich added. "The distance runners who did well are all older obviously. They know how much of a break to take between indoor and outdoor so that they're not worn down."

Senior Jeremy Williams added 10 team points with a first-place finish in the 3000m steeplechase.

"I'm in better shape at the beginning of the outdoor season than I ever have been before," Williams said.

The men finished sixth of 13 teams and the women placed fourth of 13. Indiana State won on both the men's and women's sides.

Williams' senior cross country teammates Tommy Schmitz and Brent Des Roches also ran well, as did juniors Kyle Saginus and Scott Mueller. Mueller, Des Roches and Saginus finished first, second and third in the 5000m. Schmitz placed first in the 1500m.

The Golden Eagles' jumpers and throwers were less successful. Uhrich and assistant coach Bert Rogers attributed the struggles to the fact that there are more events in which the squad did not compete during indoor season. Junior high jumper Ray Bratchett had a sore Achilles and did not perform up to par.