Mayfair Mall now rated PG-18

Mayfair officials will implement a curfew program Friday. Shoppers under the age of 18 will not be allowed in the mall, movie theater or surrounding restaurants after 2 p.,”

The days of mallrats hanging out at Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa are over.

Mayfair officials will implement a curfew program Friday. Under the curfew, shoppers under 18 will not be allowed in the mall, movie theater or surrounding restaurants after 2 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays without an adult.

"A lot of my friends are 18 already so people will just get left out," said 17-year-old Geralynne Papa of Milwaukee.

Young shoppers said they are are unhappy with the new program, titled Parental Guidance Required. Nancy Conley, spokeswoman for the mall, said officials looked at the public safety problems at Mayfair when considering the curfew.

The mall has been the site of several fights, with and without weapons, in recent months.

Conley said the curfew program was designed specifically for Mayfair. However the set times and ages have more to do with traffic patterns around the mall and its busiest hours than bus routes and school hours, she said.

"It's not going to help the problem," said 14-year-old Veronica Thornton, who was shopping at Mayfair Saturday. "Kids will go other places to start fights."

Thornton said she thinks Mayfair's movie theater causes the most problems because it draws people from across the city.

"And it's open later than the mall," added Thornton's friend Rachel Long, 13.

The mall will hire additional security officers to monitor mall entrances and check identification. IDs must have a photo and a date of birth. Underage shoppers who are not accompanied by someone who is 21 or older will not be allowed in the mall.

Conley said some will find a way around the program.

"If they get away with the system and act responsibly, they'll be able to shop," Conley said. "We realize people are going to find a way of doing it. We'll deal with situations as they come up."

There is no telling how the curfew will affect business at the mall, especially in stores that cater to a younger crowd.

Conley said contrary to popular belief, a mall curfew actually boosts sales because those in the mall actually shop.

"Teens are welcome," Conley said. "But on Fridays and Saturdays they need to come with an adult after 2 p.m."

Teenage shoppers at the mall Saturday said they thought the rules would hurt businesses by keeping out high school students. Long said her classmates often come to the mall after school, especially on half days.

"Normally you don't even start hanging out with people until (2 p.m.)," Papa said.

Her mother, Susan, agreed. She said the time was too early and mall officials should consider moving it back.

Conley called the program "fluid" and said the program could change.

"If we see a need to change or add a day, we'll make the changes as we go along," Conley said.

While Susan Papa said she has never seen the violent problems at Mayfair, she sees the curfew's merits.

"Safety is an element in a city," she said. "Especially in a big city."