Keeping the faith: Struggles of religion in the real world

On Wednesday at 8 p.m. the Manresa Project, Alpha Sigma Nu and the Danihy Club teamed up to hold "Spirituality after College: Now What?" in the AMU Chapel of the Holy Family.,”

Students may wonder where their faith life will lead them once they enter the working world.

The Manresa Project, Alpha Sigma Nu and the Danihy Club, made up of Alpha Sigma Nu alumni, teamed up Wednesday to hold "Spirituality After College: Now What?" in the Chapel of the Holy Family in the Alumni Memorial Union.

This roundtable reflection discussion presented students with a chance to connect with alumni to share their experiences in faith after leaving college. Featured speakers were Matt Wessel, a 2003 alumnus of the College of Communication, and Erin Elliot, Schroeder Hall Minister.

Wessel and Elliot shared their own personal experiences while giving advice to those present on how to deal with the struggles of juggling one's faith and working lives.

"My faith life has never been the same as it was here," Wessel said.

Wessel, who played the piano at Mass during his time at Marquette and found his faith through his passion for music, said the challenge after graduating from Marquette was that he was not constantly surrounded by faith and people his own age. Wessel admitted that he does not pray or go to Mass as much as he used to when he was an undergraduate. He said the main challenge is that there is no overwhelmingly strong sense of community.

"There are no priests walking around and you don't have your roommate saying 'Hey, let's go to Mass,'" Wessel said.

While here at Marquette, students may take the constant sense of faith and the openly spiritual community for granted.

When they get into the real world, the difficulty of the transition can be overwhelming.

"When something is taken away, your faith goes with it," Wessel said.

Students were encouraged to ask questions and share their own experiences and concerns at the discussion.

"The biggest challenge for me is going to be finding time," said Chris Acker, student president of Alpha Sigma Nu and a senior in the College of Health Sciences. "Faith can easily be taken over by the demands of everything else."

The speakers gave advice as to what actions students can take to maintain their relationship with God after college life. The speakers' main advice was to get involved in church programs, groups and discussions in order to get to know everyone already involved.

"Go to all the parishes until you find one that works for you," said Mary Ferwerda, assistant director of student programs for the Manresa Project.

Elliot, who converted to Catholicism three years ago, said that searching for a faith community is a difficult task. She said that getting involved was the best thing she could have done.

"It really helped me with my faith," Elliot said. "It helped with my community, especially with people my age."

Emily Wacker, president of the Danihy Club and a 2003 Marquette graduate, said it is important to fulfill your own spiritual needs.

"What matters is what is important and meaningful to you," Wacker said.

This may make life after graduation seem more frightening and stressful than it already is. Wessel said that if you have a real relationship with God, you are going to be just fine.

College is supposed to be the best four years of our lives. But perhaps the best is yet to come.