Marquette vs. Pittsburgh preview

A loss would enter the men's basketball team into postseason play having dropped five of the previous six. Although the Golden Eagles likely will qualify for the NCAA tournament regardless of their performance between now and Selection Sunday, they'd rather not sweat it out.,”

It's tough to escape the gravity of Saturday night. There's no dodging or downplaying what's true: Marquette must beat Pittsburgh.

A loss would enter the men's basketball team into postseason play having dropped five of the previous six. Although the Golden Eagles likely will qualify for the NCAA tournament regardless of their performance between now and Selection Sunday, they'd rather not sweat it out.

Never mind seeding and tournament bids.

Marquette needs a pick-me-up after an 85-73 loss at Notre Dame Saturday. The Fighting Irish exposed a flawed interior defense, a recurring theme throughout the Golden Eagles' recent struggles.

The team's post defense will be a determining factor against No. 12 Pitt (25-5, 12-3 Big East), which is led by center Aaron Gray, who averages 14.2 points and 10 rebounds per game. Marquette (22-8, 9-6) must shore up its inside defense – or perhaps that's downplaying the importance of the squad's interior defending.

"Oh, my goodness," said head coach Tom Crean. "Yeah, I mean that's an understatement, it really is. The best form of post defense is your ball pressure, and we haven't had enough ball pressure to make it tough to get in. People haven't had to create angles. They've just been able to throw it in."

Team defense has been problematic of late, but sophomore Dominic James' prolonged shooting woes have been the most disturbing symptom of the squad's struggles. In his last seven games, James has a .274 field-goal percentage on 25-of-91 shooting; his season percentage has plummeted to .394.

James was dynamite, though, in Marquette's overtime win at Pitt on Jan. 21, finishing with 23 points, five assists, zero turnovers and two game-winning free throws. He must play closer to that version of himself for Marquette to compete with Pitt Saturday night.

In the past, James has been prone to multiple-game shooting streaks. When he's on, he's on fire for several games at a time. When he's off, as he is now, his shooting troubles often pile on top of one another, game by game.

If he can start a positive streak Saturday night, the timing would be perfect for Marquette as it enters the Big East tournament next week.

"I don't think it's confidence," James said. "Right now, it's just … you know the shots aren't falling. When I let it go, I feel like it's going in, and that's a good thing."

Much like the team as a whole, James is at a crisis point in his game.

"We're definitely trying to look at this game as a momentum-builder," said sophomore Wesley Matthews. "We're only guaranteed a few more."

Lose, and the Golden Eagles will stumble neck-first into the Big East tournament. Win, and they'll be turbocharged for a postseason run.