Council approves Downer proposal

The rezoning means that development firm New Land Enterprises can construct an 11-story hotel and condominium on North Stowell and East Webster Avenues.,”

A proposal to change the zoning around the Downer Theatre passed the Common Council Tuesday with a 13-2 vote.

The rezoning means that development firm New Land Enterprises can construct an 11-story hotel and condominium on North Stowell and East Webster avenues.

The group also plans on building a parking structure, renovating the office space above Harry W. Schwartz Bookshop, 2559 N. Downer Ave., giving the theatre a facelift and beautifying the neighborhood's sidewalks with benches and flower beds.

The development has been controversial, with neighbors both supporting and condemning the project.

"I can understand why some people wouldn't (support it), especially if they lived in the area," said Ald. Bob Bauman, of the 4th District, which includes Marquette. "From an overall standpoint, it will definitely benefit the community."

According to Tim Gokhman, director of sales and marketing for New Land Enterprises, a year's worth of public input has brought out the best redevelopment design for Downer Avenue.

The council's Zoning, Neighborhoods and Development Committee heard around three hours of testimony about the plan Feb. 21 and eventually passed the rezoning proposal unanimously.

Aldermen Joe Davis Sr. (District 2) and Michael McGee Jr. (District 6) voted against the rezoning Tuesday.

The city approved a general development plan for the area. New Land Enterprises will create a detailed development plan and present it to the city in April. The detailed plan will have to be approved up the ladder again.

"It's part of the process," Gokhman said. "It reassures us that all the different committees are working in the interest of those who elected them."