Club sports notebook

The Marquette club ultimate frisbee team cannot wait to get back on the field after a break during the winter months.

The team had a high player turnout this year, and the men split into A and B teams.

This didn't surprise senior captain Michael Wellman, who said that each year he has been here the team has expanded.

"Without a doubt we are the winningest Marquette (club ultimate frisbee) team in history," Wellman said.

To be fair, though, the program is fairly new.

The team's next event is a three-day tournament in Savannah, Ga., on Mar. 16. They plan to bring 17 guys from the A squad to participate…

Marquette's club swimming and diving team wrapped up a successful season Feb. 16 and 17 at the University of Chicago Midwest Championships.

"We did pretty well and had lots of time drops," said junior captain Meredith Moodie.

The team competes mostly against other private schools from the area such as Lawrence and Carroll College. They also had a meet early this season against Notre Dame.

"We're going against more established teams," Moodie said. "We don't really keep track of our record; we just keep track of individual times."

The coed team consists of about 20 members who regularly show up to practices and events. Usually the team has more women than men, but this year a lot of freshmen men came out for the team, and Moodie said that the men are the most competitive she has seen in years…

A loss to Illinois State in the Midwest Collegiate Hockey League Championships on Feb. 10 brought an end to a busy season for the Marquette club hockey team.

The team participated in the MCHL's inaugural season, while still staying competitive in the Mid-American Collegiate Hockey Association.

The MACHA, which has been around for a few years, typically plays host to more developed clubs like Northern Illinois, Iowa, Bradley and Missouri.

The MCHL, on the other hand, just finished its first year with teams such as Wisconsin-Platteville, Loyola and Purdue.

"The MCHL is more for up-and-comers, and teams that are new and still getting organized," said senior captain Andrew Ostrom.

During the six month season, Ostrom's 22-man roster made good use of Milwaukee's U.S. Olympic Training Facility, the Pettit National Ice Center. They practiced there twice a week en route to a second place regular season finish in the MCHL.