Club sports notebook

Last year the Marquette women's club volleyball team ended the season No. 3 in the nation with four All-Americans on the roster. Three of them returned this year to finish what they started.

"We hope to end the season No. 1 in the nation," said junior captain Kim Simons.

Graduate student Sarah Frogge, sophomore Nicole Purcell and Simons, the team's three returning All-Americans, have not disappointed.

The team is well on its way to achieving its goal after traveling to Northwestern last weekend for a tournament and defeating Eastern Illinois in the semifinals and Northwestern in the championship to take home the trophy.

The team, which is currently No. 2 in the nation, plays mostly Division 1 club teams and has a record of 25-1 in the spring season.

Marquette's next match is Mar. 3 against Ball State, followed by a home tournament on Mar. 31 in the Helfaer Rec Center…

There are only two chances left to see Marquette club tennis captain Ryan Duescher's 100-mph serve go untouched past his opponent on the way to the back wall.

One of the team's bigger events, the 18-team Midwest Campus Championships, is this Friday Feb. 23, in Madison.

After that there are only the club tennis nationals in North Carolina from April 25-29, where the team will compete with 72 other Division 1 club teams.

The team finished the season strong at every position ending with a 6-3 overall record.

"All around we've got a real good group of guys, and we are always looking for more girls to play," said Duescher, a junior.

The team plays in the World Team Tennis format, which consists of one double and singles team for each gender and one mixed doubles team…

Scheduling conflicts have prematurely halted the Marquette club wrestling team's season.

The team must forgo the upcoming North Central Conference tournament since it falls on Feb. 24, the same day as the Wisconsin State High School Championship.

Several of the Marquette club wrestlers also help coach for their former high school teams, making an already depleted club team unable to compete.

"We started the year with 20 guys and are now down to about 13," said sophomore captain Brett Coffelt. "But we are expecting 10 to 12 of our guys to return next year."

The problems that the team has had as of late have crushed the team's hopes of going to this year's NCWA nationals in Houston, but Coffelt is confident that with the right freshmen recruitment the team will be there in 2008.