Club sports notebook

The team finished 1-5 at the Midwest 10 Qualifier at Northern Illinois on Saturday marking their first loss of the season.,”

The Marquette men's club volleyball team hit a rough spot over the weekend after starting the spring season 5-0 in the Wisconsin Volleyball Conference, finshing 1-5 at the Midwest 10 Qualifier at Northern Illinois on Saturday for their first loss.

"We are doing all right. We have a lot of young players this year," said junior Matt Lane, the club president. "We have nineteen guys, eight of whom are freshmen."

Despite the team's youth, Marquette managed to knock off No. 1 Wisconsin-Oshkosh Jan. 30. The team typically plays club teams from schools in the UW system such as La Crosse, Whitewater, Platteville and Oshkosh.

The team has matches today against Carthage at 7 p.m. and Sunday against UW-Stout at 2 p.m., both at the Helfaer Rec Center on Court 5…

The Marquette crew team kicks off its indoor season this Saturday with the Chicago Indoor Rowing Championships.

Marquette's 62 members are split among four teams: A novice and a varsity team for both men and women.

"We typically play a mix of both Division 1 varsity teams and other club teams," said Mary Spitzer, club co-president and a senior in the College of Business Administration. "We are pretty competitive. The past few seasons we have usually been finishing in the top 10."

Although the outdoor season does not start until early April, the team already holds daily practices at Marquette's Academic Support Facility on 17th Street…

The Marquette club lacrosse team returned from a weekend trip to Nashville, where it played matches against Tennessee, Sewanee and Vanderbilt.

The team lost all three matches, but was missing a number of players.

"We lost four guys to injury, and a few guys had to stay back to focus on school," said team captain Ben White, a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

"We had trouble getting our offense to mesh," White added. "We have been practicing indoors, which hurt us once we got out there on the grass."

The team is in the Upper Midwest Lacrosse League, which is part of the Men's Collegiate Lacrosse Association, and it typically plays the club teams of other Division I schools.