Marquette hosts reigning champs

Each member of the Marquette women's soccer team is assigned a big sister when she joins the team as a freshman. Big sisters help their little sisters

assimilate into the team and act as mentors on scholastic and personal issues off the field.

"Our program, it's more than just practicing and playing," said head coach Markus Roeders. "We consider our team a big family. Within this family we have sisters who are making sure someone is always looking out for them. … It has created some wonderful bonds over time."

Which makes Heather Goranson and Michelle Pitzl, well, related.

As a sophomore, Goranson was Pitzl's figurative older sibling during Pitzl's freshman season in which she played in just two games. They both played outside midfield positions back then.

After scoring four goals last season, Goranson shifted roles in her senior season to anchor the defense of the 9-1-1 Golden Eagles (2-1-0 in the Big East) that has allowed just six goals in 11 games. She did not, however, expect to be joined by her little sister.

"It was a pleasant surprise that it all worked out so well," Goranson said. "Michelle Pitzl has done a great job stepping into the role as stopper."

Pitzl, now a junior, has started every game this season in her new position, which resides just in front of Goranson in central defense. Her aggressive

challenges have thwarted so many attacks from Marquette's opponents this year that Roeders once dubbed her a "destroyer."

"We put them into new roles," Roeders said. "And they have embraced those roles."

With open arms, poise and well-timed slide tackles. Their bonding activities off the field have resulted in improved chemistry during games as they both adapted to defensive mindset.

Save for the first few games of last season, Goranson had never played on the backline in her soccer career, which spans her youthful days at the YMCA to club soccer with FC Milwaukee as a teenager, before this year.

Her positional adjustment has coincided with her accepting the role as a captain and leader of this year's team.

"I try to set an example as well as being a vocal leader," Goranson said. "It is imperative as a sweeper to communicate. … It helps me read the game."

It helps her young teammates on the backline, too. When an opponent slips past freshman fullback Katie Kelly on the wing, Goranson provides both cover and encouragement from her sweeper role.

"She would say, 'Don't worry about it. You still have me and Pitzl back here. Don't keep your head down, you're still a good player,'" Kelly said.

Goranson would do her teammates a favor if she repeatedly reminded them of their talents Friday night, when their confidence will be tested by defending national champion Notre Dame at Valley Fields.

"It's important to play our own game," Goranson said. "We came out a little timid against UConn, and we can't afford to do that against Notre Dame."

With all the individual talents that the Irish possess, the Golden Eagles hope a team of family members will be tough to beat.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 29, 2005.