Wisconsin money crunch

Last week the governor and the Milwaukee County executive presented their annual status reports, focusing on financial issues.

On Wednesday, Gov. Jim Doyle highlighted the progress Wisconsin has made in employment while focusing on what needs to be done for education and health care.

Doyle's proposed raising high school math and science requirements from two to three years. He also said the state should provide more support for the University of Wisconsin system, increasing faculty and financial aid.

"Right now, families can deduct up to $3,000 in college expenses from their Wisconsin taxes," Doyle said. "In my budget, I will expand the deduction up to the average cost of tuition at the UW system. This year, that would be about $5,000."

Among Doyle's proposals was his call for more money for the Student Achievement Guarantee in Education program, which creates smaller class sizes in the early grades.

State Senate Minority Leader Judith Robson (D-15th District) "is very pleased that the governor is maintaining his commitment to small class sizes," said Kelley Flury, communication director for Robson.

But State Sen. Ted Kanavas (R-33rd District) said Doyle's education proposals will cost money the legislature doesn't have.

"I thought that speech was really disingenuous," Kanavas said. "It was Santa Claus. Now the legislature has to be the Grinch."

In a move that could affect teachers throughout the state, Doyle called for abolishing the Qualified Economic Offer, which rewards schools if they do not alter their benefit packages. He called it a "roadblock to reform."

In addition to education reforms, Doyle pushed to raise the minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.50, which some Republicans have opposed.

"No one can justify, morally or economically, the $5.15 minimum wage we have today," Robson said in a statement after the governor's speech.

Kanavas does not support the minimum wage increase. The focus should be on higher wage jobs, he said, and the people in the workforce receiving minimum wage changes from year to year.

Doyle outlined his plans for health care, including the new BadgerRx discount prescription program. Doyle plans to open it up to the 500,000 Wisconsin residents without prescription drug coverage.

"I think it's a great idea," said Lea Acord, dean of the College of Nursing. "Any kind of discount is a good thing, because prescriptions are so expensive."

But Kanavas said the prescription program would have little impact.

"The BadgerRx affects so few people it is not really meaningful," he said.

The state government faces a $1.6 billion budget deficit, about half of what it was two years ago. Doyle said he streamlined the government to reduce expenses, but will continue work on it. He also said he would balance the budget without raising taxes.

"I don't think there's enough room in the budget for him to do all things for all people, which is exactly what he described in the State of the State address," Kanavas said.

Walker encourages residents to stay in county

Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker's speech on Jan. 10 focused on monetary issues as well, stressing that the county needs to "survive" cuts in state funding.

Walker proposed the 2006 county budget freeze the tax levy and appealed to Doyle to change his position and freeze the property tax levy.

"We need to send a clear message to our residents and our employers that they can afford to stay and grow in Milwaukee County," Walker said.

Walker also said the county would only be able to afford wage increases if the unions cut back on health care and pension benefits.

Milwaukee County Supervisor Peggy West (D-12th District) said she agreed that the county is not receiving the right amount of funding from the state, but cutting union benefits is not the solution.

"Basically I don't think the work force in this county can take another hit to their staffing," West said. "Honestly we're down to the bone. We don't have any staff left."

Although Walker urged the County Board to support his veto of the Park East corridor resolution, saying it would hurt sales, the board passed the measure that day. The resolution says development of the corridor should be tied to wage and hiring controls.

Walker also said he feared state cuts in areas such as child support enforcement and Medicaid.

In a move to save money, Walker proposed the Marcus Center, the Milwaukee Theater, the Bradley Center and the Midwest Airlines Center share some of their operations, an idea Marcus Center officials were open to.

"We're certainly open to exploring the options, especially if the end result is saving tax dollars for our operations," said Paul Mathews, president of the Marcus Center. Mathews said the venue has met with Walker to discuss their budget.

Doyle will present his budget, which will run from July through June 2007, next month.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Jan. 18 2005.