$1.79 million funding boost warms winter outlook

Keeping Wisconsin homes warm through the chilly months of the year just got a little bit easier.

The state has been granted an additional $1.79 million in federal funding to help low-income households meet engery costs, as was announced by Democratic Sens. Herb Kohl and Russ Feingold, Rep. David Obey (D-7th District) and Gov. Jim Doyle.

The funding comes through the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. Wisconsin's $1.79 million is an emergency grant on top of the state's regular allocation, which was made available by recent openings in the 2005 budget.

According to Zach Goldberg, a spokesman for Kohl, the program serves households at or below a target income figure which apply for assistance.

The federal government allocates funds to states, which distribute the money to counties, which are responsible for putting it in the hands of families.

Goldberg said low-income families, senior citizens and disabled persons are among those assisted.

"It helps families pay for heating on cold months," Goldberg said.

Ellis Brachman, a spokesman for Obey, said the program "makes sure that Wisconsin families have warm houses in the winter."

According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' Web site, the program suspends state and local sales taxes for heating costs on eligible households and directs supplementary funding to households with exceptional need.

The site lists the eligible income threshold for the program as 150 percent of the federal poverty level, which translates to $28,275 a year for a family of four.

According to a survey conducted by the state's Division of Energy, the prices of natural gas, propane and heating oil — the fuel sources that account for nearly 85 percent of the state's heating — are all significantly higher than they were a year ago, with no downturn in sight.

Ongoing uncertainty over oil prices could push costs even higher for both heating oil and for propane, which is made with oil, the survey said.

"Residents should prepare for these high prices," said Division of Energy Administrator Dan Schooff.

"Those who are unable to pay their energy bills should contact their county's social services department to find out about heating assistance options," he said.

Overall, Wisconsin's share of funding for the 2005 fiscal year is $66.3 million, according to the Department of Health and Human Services' Web site, ranking it 10th in the nation.

New York comes in first at $236 million, while Hawaii ranks last, taking just over $2 million.

An estimated 134,000 Wisconsin households were served by the program in the 2004 fiscal year, the site said.

Goldberg said the $1.79 million emergency infusion will "help reach more households over a longer period of time."

Beyond heating costs, Brachman said the program also provides assistance with air conditioning bills and with energy efficiency investments, such as new, more efficient major appliances.

According to the Department of Health and Human Services' Web site, the winter portion of the program operates from Oct. 1 until May 15.

"Even though we're getting closer to spring," Goldberg said, "there are obviously still cold months ahead."

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Mar. 10 2005.