New café is a gem

There's a new place in town to grab a cup of joe, hit the books or simply kick back and enjoy with your friends. Ruby G's Espresso Bar & Café at 2043 W. Wells St. is officially open for business.

However, Ruby G's is no ordinary coffeehouse — it is the baby of the Marquette women's rugby team.

"Not many people know about women's rugby," said Maggie Sketch, a sophomore in the College of Communication and member of the rugby team.

"We really want to reach out to our Marquette community, and this is a way to do it," Sketch said. "This gives people a chance to get a break from campus, but you don't actually have to leave campus."

Ruby G's, which is co-owned by Tom Schmitt, women's rugby coach, gives the team a unique opportunity to do some fundraising and create awareness in the community. With the players' involvement, they can now look to Schmitt as a coach and an employer.

"It's exciting to have the opportunity to not only raise funds for the team and help players find employment, but to also be able to help promote rugby as a sport and to broaden the variety of restaurants available to members of the Marquette community," said Kathy Cebe Ondishko, a junior in the College of Health Sciences and the team's president.

Beth Stefanowski, a sophomore in the College of Health Sciences and customer, was also optimistic about the new business.

"It was really cozy," she said of her experience at Ruby G's. "It was very plush. It seems like a cool place to hang out that a lot of people don't really know about yet."

Each night during "Warrior Hours," which run between 7 and 11 p.m., the rugby team takes a turn in serving up the coffee and baked goods. On weekdays, Ruby G's is open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

"The girls are very excited about (the opportunity)," Schmitt said. "This is something that the team gets to be part of. There's a special kind of smile you get when you know you're part of something, and this is something they are definitely a part of."

The proceeds from the hours the girls work will go toward team expenses like travel, some of which they have been paying for directly out of pocket.

"Initially some of the proceeds will go toward cases and displays for the restaurant," Schmitt said. "Our long-term hope is to possibly make enough money where we can compete with larger teams, have scholarships and actually make a profit for the team."

Ruby G's serves several coffee varieties, including its own house blend, along with various other beverages, baked goods and daily lunch specials.

Computers with high-speed Internet capability are available to customers. Those wishing to bring their own laptops can take advantage of wireless Internet.

All Marquette students receive a discount with a valid student ID.

Ruby G's also boasts a private conference room available by reservation.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on March 31 2005.