Celebration promotes Arabic culture

In past years, Arab Heritage Celebration has aimed to educate students about political issues surrounding Arabs and Arab-Americans.

This year, however, the event will focus on other aspects of the culture as well, including food, arts and entertainment.

The 3rd annual celebration, which lasts from April 4 to 29, was planned almost entirely by the Arab Student Association, said Zieneb Hamdan, co-chair of the organization and junior in the College of Health Sciences.

"Our organization plays a role in selecting the speakers and developing the events," she said. "We've made up a lot of our own events, because we're the only group who can represent Arabs on campus."

At 7 p.m. today, Hanan Ashrawi, secretary general and founder of the Palestinian Initiative for the Promotion of Global Dialogue and Democracy, will give the "Palestine, Peace and Democracy: The Road Ahead" lecture in the Weasler Auditorium.

Students can also attend a viewing of "Gaza Strip" and "Jenin, Jenin," two movies highlighting the situation in Palestine and Israel, at 6:30 p.m. in room 407 of the Alumni Memorial Union, Hamdan said.

"The movies are low-key events," she said. "They're not documentary style. They offer a different way of showing what's going on."

From April 10 to 15, students can visit the second floor of the AMU for the "Debunking Stereotypes of Arabs Display."

"The display will highlight famous Arab-Americans and their contributions that are often lacking in mainstream media," Hamdan said.

On April 12, John Esposito will give a lecture entitled "Islam, Democracy and the Challenges of the Post-9/11 World" at 7 p.m. in the Weasler Auditorium, Hamdan said.

"Dr. Esposito is considered one of the leading professors in the United States who speaks on Islam in America," said Reema Ahmad, secretary of the Arab Student Association and freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Ammar Askari, president of the Milwaukee chapter of the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee, will speak at the Soup with Substance lecture, "Defending the Civil Rights of Arab Americans: An Introduction to the American Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee" held on April 13, Hamdan said.

The event will take place at 12 p.m. in room 227 of the AMU.

On April 18, Norman Finkelstein, author of "The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering," will speak at "The Politics of Anti-Semitism" lecture at 7 p.m. in Ballroom B of the AMU.

Students will have another opportunity to view a cultural movie on April 19. "Rana's Wedding: Jerusalem, Another Day" will show at 6 p.m. in room 407 of the AMU.

From April 25 to 29, students can visit the AMU Lunda Room between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. for a Middle Eastern meal. On April 25 they can attend a Debka dance lesson at 6 p.m. on the first floor lobby of the AMU.

The final event for Arab Heritage Celebration is planned for April 29, Hamdan said.

From 9 p.m. to 12 a.m., students can visit the AMU for "Late Night: A Thousand and One Arabian Nights," featuring entertainment, comedy acts and food.

"The Arab Heritage events are an excellent way for students, faculty and staff to come and learn about our Arab brothers and sisters on campus and across the world," said Natalie Gross, interim assistant dean for multicultural programs in the Office of Student Development. "These events are an excellent source of education about current world events as well as a good way for some people to start breaking down their stereotypes about Arabs in general."

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on April 7 2005.