McConaughey has hopes to be next ‘Indiana Jones’ by looks of ‘Sahara’

Who knew Matthew McConaughey could go from the romantic, comedic lead in movies like "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days" and then star in "Sahara" as a beefed up, action hero? Well he does.

Based on the novel by Clive Cussler, "Sahara" tells the story of Dirk Pitt (McConaughey) and Al Giordino (Steve Zahn), former Navy Seals who become explorers and treasure seekers for the National Underwater and Marine Agency. Dirk is infatuated by the legend of a Civil War ship made of iron which leads him and his crew, surprisingly, to Africa. His only clue is a golden coin — Confederate minted money. His obsession with the myth grows when he learns that the locals have heard of his ship, but they call it "the Ship of Death."

Along the way, Dirk and Al meet the beautiful Dr. Eva Rojas (Penelope Cruz), who is on a mission of her own for the United Nations in Africa. A plague seems to be spreading across the country that kills fast and there are people, like the African leader General Kazim (Lennie James), who will kill her to keep it secret. Dirk becomes Eva's savior in more ways than one, as he saves her from supposed murderers and he aids her in her quest to find the source of her plague when the UN has refused.

When the three characters figure out their tasks are intertwined, they will spend their time solving the problems together. Explosions, death and basic trouble ensue.

McConaughey does well for himself as Dirk. He looks like a tanorexic — probably spent too much time out in the sun — he's gained lots of muscle mass and longer hair. However, the filmmakers didn't try to capitalize on this. They actually seemed to consciously hide the fact that McConaughey's features had been drastically changed, which was a really good choice.

"Sahara" has a solid base, the story makes sense and there are no loose ends left. The beginning of the movie let the audience know that Dirk and Al had a military background which made the story more believable. The plot is thrilling, the settings are gorgeous and there are several ingenious moments. The concept involving a broken down plane in the middle of the desert and wind power is surprising and exciting. The action is also at the center of attention, as is the romantic subplot of Dirk and Eva taking a backseat.

Zahn and McConaughey work well as the adventurers Dirk and Al. The hilarity they provide in their portrayals as friends and coworkers isn't over the top nor is it not enough. Zahn steals scenes by getting the one-liners.

Penelope Cruz holds her own as Eva. She hardly has any lines, but the fact that she also wasn't one to let the boys have all the fun made me think she was more than tolerable.

The weakest scenes for "Sahara," involving the Confederate iron ship and a camera panning around an empty office, come at the beginning of the movie; however they pay off as a knowledge base later on.

"Sahara" provides the perfect mix of mystery, action and fun along with an excellent cast. It may be slated as the next "Indiana Jones," but it still has a ways to go before it can be said it is of that caliber.

Grade: AB

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on April 7 2005.