Milwaukee County loses over 4,000 residents

Milwaukee County is shrinking, according to figures released by the U.S. Census Bureau last Thursday.

The census figures showed a net population decline of 4,125 people in the county from mid-2003 to mid-2004.

The losses continue a trend that began in 2000. Bureau figures show a population decline of 12,146 — 1.7 percent — in the county between 2000 and 2004.

Steve Mokrohisky, chief of staff of the Milwaukee County Executive's office, said the continued population decline illustrates the need to reduce the tax burden on Milwaukee County residents.

According to Mokrohisky, Milwaukee's tax burden — ranked fifth highest in the nation by the Tax Foundation, a nonprofit group — makes it difficult to attract and retain jobs.

"There is no question that the continued loss in population is directly connected to the high tax burden in our community," Mokrohisky said.

Beyond tax relief, the County Executive has worked for a number of developments to foster growth in Milwaukee, he said.

The relocation of GE Health Care's world headquarters to Milwaukee, a long-term lease agreement with the Milwaukee Public Museum and the redevelopment of the Park East corridor are among developments currently in progress.

Plans for the near future include a new convention center and water park attached to the Milwaukee County Zoo and new downtown development by the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts, Mokrohisky said.

The County Executive plans to participate in the second annual "Executive Ride" this summer, a weeklong tour to promote Milwaukee County attractions from Summerfest to the Brewers to the lakefront.

"The goal is to attract visitors and businesses to Milwaukee" from Wisconsin, Minnesota and Illinois, Mokrohisky said.

Douglas Booth, retired associate professor of economics, said in an e-mail that Milwaukee likely "does better now than in the past with all the development that is occurring downtown."

"Localities with a good collection of restaurants and bars, cultural amenities such as museums and theatres and access to scenic outdoor amenities and recreation opportunities" do well in attracting young professionals, Booth said in an e-mail.

Recent initiatives have targeted young professionals, including a $1.1 million proposal by Gov. Jim Doyle earlier this month aimed at increasing the number of people in the state who hold four-year degrees, Mokrohisky said.

But drawing in graduates can be complicated according to Laura Kestner, director of Marquette's Career Services Center.

Finding the right job, pay, location and benefits are all factors in considering the next step after graduation, and "it changes for each student," Kestner said in an e-mail.

Kestner said in an e-mail that roughly equal numbers of students look to stay in Milwaukee, work in the Chicago area or relocate nationwide.

While Milwaukee County may be able to improve at self-promotion, Kestner said in an e-mail, "Students have very individualized goals … If Milwaukee fits with those, great. If not, no one is to blame."

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on April 21 2005.