Local businesses claim loss of sales from construction

Construction for beautification along Wisconsin Avenue is causing more than congestion problems downtown.

Business owners along the street have complained about losing sales because of the project to beautify Wisconsin Avenue.

"It's like starving with a smile," said Diane Hamiel, president of The Sophisticated Man, 322 E. Wisconsin Ave. "It's killing people."

The north side of the road in front of Hamiel's store is completely under construction. Signs hanging on a fence in front of the store say the shop is still open for business.

People cannot park near her store because they will be ticketed, according to Hamiel. She called the mayor and the alderman's office to complain that the parking meters in front of her store were covered with bags. A few days later the meters were taken away entirely.

Michele Walberts, manager at Apollo Tan, 308 E. Wisconsin Ave., next to The Sophisticated Man, said customers have complained because of the construction.

"They've complained about noise and the dirt and how it's been getting harder and harder to get to us," Walberts said.

Walberts said she cannot hear people on the phone when they call in the morning because of the construction noise outside.

"People couldn't even find a place to park, which is hard enough downtown," Walberts said. "They're afraid to drive and park downtown, because it's so hazardous now."

Mike Patel, cashier of Dunkin' Donuts, 306 E. Wisconsin Ave., said business has gone down since the construction began.

Bob Bauman, alderman of the 4th district, where the construction is occurring, said people will adjust to it over time.

"Like any construction, people are going to complain," Bauman said. "It's going to take them a while to adjust."

Bauman predicted people will like the project's results.

The work downtown is part of the ongoing streetscape project, which is in its second phase, according to Department of Public Works spokeswoman Cecilia Gilbert. This phase began the week of April 11. The Department hopes to have the current section of Wisconsin Avenue, from the Milwaukee River to Milwaukee Street, completed by late July or early August. The entire project is expected to be completed by October, Gilbert said.

The business owners had varying ideas of when their part of the road would be finished. Hamiel said she thought it would be by the end of June. Walberts said it would be a couple more months. Patel thought it would be completed in 29 days.

"Notification is done by contacting the property owners," Gilbert said, since property taxes are paying for part of the project. The Department of Public Works also holds public meetings.

The first phase was from 4th to 2nd streets along West Wisconsin Avenue, according to Gilbert.

"This is all being done in an effort to dress up the downtown area, especially Wisconsin Avenue, which is our main thoroughfare," Gilbert said. "It is a result of a downtown plan that was done a number of years ago."

Currently, workers are removing the hollow sidewalks and putting in new street lights, Gilbert said. Planters and public art will also be added.

"I think it's going to really improve the street, and it's going to really improve the environment," Bauman said.

Walberts gave her thought on the impact the project was having on the area.

"It should be worth it when it's done, but it'll be a mess until then."

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on April 21 2005.