Week before the walk

Graduation is approaching, but seniors have one more chance to have fun as college students before going off into the real world.

Starting Wednesday, seniors can buy tickets for Senior Week 2005, the Marquette University Student Government-sponsored week of events planned for graduating seniors.

According to Griffith Sellnow, Senior Week Commissioner and sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, this year's celebration will be different from past Senior Weeks.

"The biggest challenge in planning was that we weren't able to do some of the more traditional events," such as planning a trip to see the Brewers and having the annual Senior Ball at the Hilton Hotel, Sellnow said. For one, the Brewers are out of town that week.

For students, the week of events starts May 17. From 8 p.m. to midnight, the Senior Week Kickoff Party will be held in the Union Sports Annex.

This event is free for seniors and will serve to "connect graduating seniors to the alumni network," he said.

On May 18, the Senior Ball will be held from 9 p.m. to midnight at the Milwaukee Art Museum, Sellnow said.

"The Senior Ball is the most popular event of the year," said Laura Herzing, MUSG communications vice president and junior in the College of Communication. "It's a really cool event that students can go to either as a group or with a date."

Students must purchase tickets in order to attend the Senior Ball, Sellnow said.

On May 19, seniors can stop in at Lucille's, 1110 N. Old World Third St., for "Rockin' Piano" night, Sellnow said.

Tickets for this event cost $20, which includes refreshment specials and a pizza buffet, he said.

From 10:30 p.m. to midnight, students can spend the evening cruising the Milwaukee River and Lake Michigan on board the Edelweiss, Sellnow said. Tickets for this event cost $25 per person.

Until approximately 2 a.m. each evening, bus shuttles will run from the Alumni Memorial Union to the Senior Week events, he said.

Family events planned for Senior Week begin May 20 with the Jesuit Reception, held from 3 to 5 p.m. on the Jesuit Residence lawn, Sellnow said. The rain location is Marquette Place in the AMU.

This event is free for students and parents and will be a "time for seniors and parents to meet community members and Jesuits," he said.

From 6 to 9 p.m., seniors and their families can attend the "Family Fish Fry" held in the AMU ballrooms. Tickets are required for this event and cost $15 per person.

The "Moonlight Family Boat Cruise" on board the Edelweiss will be held from noon to midnight, he said. Tickets run $25 per person for this event.

Students can purchase Senior Week Tickets Wednesday through Friday from 12 to 5 p.m. outside of Brooks Lounge and again on May 2 to 6 from noon to 7 p.m., Sellnow said.

Parents can purchase tickets at any time by calling the Office of Student Development at 288-7205.

"I think a lot of the events are going to be really fun," Herzing said. "It's a good combination of things you can do with your family and friends."

Corey Lansing, coordinator for campus programs in the Office of Student Development, said the week will give seniors the chance to get together with friends and celebrate their last week at Marquette.

For more information and for a complete list of events planned for Senior Week, go to http://www.marquette.edu/musg/seniorweek/index.html.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on April 26 2005.