Diversity provost seeks student input

Keenan Grenell remembers the challenge of getting a strategic diversity plan off the ground at Auburn University in Alabama.

"That was a tremendous struggle," said Grenell, who spent two and a half years as Auburn's interim assistant provost for diversity and multicultural affairs before becoming Marquette's first associate provost for diversity June 1.

"Change is always hard. Change can come at a time when the existing leadership on campus is not necessarily ready for change," he said. "You have to just keep chipping away."

Today at Auburn, the strategic diversity plan is being implemented, and Grenell's successor will step into a position that now carries considerably more weight.

And for Grenell, there is plenty of chipping to be done.

College of Arts & Sciences junior and Black Student Council President Lansine Toure said coming to Marquette as a minority student can be an intimidating experience.

"It's kind of an alienating place when you first step out onto campus as a freshman and you don't see (anybody) that looks like you," he said.

While data is still being compiled, Grenell estimated minority students constitute 15 percent of this year's freshman class and 13 percent of the overall undergraduate population.

Marquette, Grenell said, can do better.

"I think we're going to do a great job of moving forward in terms of getting more students of color on campus," he said. "For us to really be in the ballgame, we are going to have to be close to 20 percent."

College of Arts & Sciences sophomore Hannah Barnet, who helped organize a "Diet of Dialogue" forum on diversity last year through the Straz Tower council, said there is always more to gain from exploring issues of diversity.

Barnet said she feels Marquette does a good job addressing diversity issues, but diversity in the student body may be "lacking compared to other university campuses."

Grenell said getting all students involved — minority or otherwise — is a key part of fostering campus diversity.

Citing the goal of "an all-inclusive environment on campus," Grenell said his plans include "targeting activities and programs at majority students", with a focus on diversity.

"That's where diversity concerns and diversity issues need to be directed," Grenell said.

Grenell cited efforts to increase majority students' participation in ethnic and cultural celebrations and pushing for service learning in under-represented communities among initiatives designed to bring diversity into the spotlight.

In one program, "Diversity Matters," Grenell will host a monthly luncheon in the Alumni Memorial Union's Lunda Room with 10 to 20 students to discuss diversity.

"It's going to get me an opportunity to meet with students and to deal with students in terms of some of their diversity issues," Grenell said.

While student diversity is a major focus, Grenell said the greatest challenge for Marquette is diversifying the faculty.

Toure said diversifying the faculty is something that needs to happen "as soon as possible."

"You have these classes that are multicultural, but not the teachers," Toure said.

When it comes to recruiting the faculty needed to make that diversity a reality, Grenell said getting the word out about opportunities at Marquette is the first step.

He cited an upcoming Arlington, Va., conference this October, where several hundred faculty of color will convene, as a chance to do just that.

At the conference, Grenell plans to host a reception, meet with attendees about opportunities at Marquette, and "have some serious conversations about what it would be like to be a young professional of color in higher education in the Milwaukee area."

Grenell said that with all initiatives, progress will take time.

"We have to start building relationships. We have to get Marquette's name out. We have to talk about being successful and being supportive at Marquette," he said.

"There's an infrastructure that's being developed here that's going to bear fruit, but it's going to take some time to bear that fruit."

A diverse campus will mean contributions from everyone involved, Grenell said.

"Diversity can't just be my role," he said. "It's the job of all students, it's the job of all staff, it's the job of all faculty and administrators," he said. "Diversity on campus will be one of those benchmarks whereby all of the campus as a family will be evaluated and measured."

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 6, 2005.