Safety, Varsity Theatre on MUSG agenda

In its first Senate meeting, Marquette Student Government laid out an agenda ranging from pedestrian safety to pie-throwing.

MUSG President Alex Hermanny said Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett has contacted MUSG about conducting a study on pedestrian safety on campus.

Hermanny, a College of Arts & Sciences senior, said the Wisconsin Department of Transportation study aims "to make sure people aren't getting hit by cars."

Hermanny also said MUSG is currently seeking student input regarding the renovation of the Varsity Theatre and "what it is they'd like to see from the space."

Hermanny said MUSG is also looking for feedback from students on possible uses for the space formerly occupied by Blockbuster Video in Campus Town West.

Program Vice President and College of Health Sciences senior Christopher Hoff said plans for a Marquette homecoming are on track for mid-October, citing the week before fall break as a target date.

Hoff also said tickets for a Sept. 21 Brewers home game against the Chicago Cubs are available to students in the Alumni Memorial Union's Brooks Lounge.

MUSG Adviser and Assistant Dean of Student Development Jon Dooley reminded the Senate of its ability to make students' voices heard.

He cited MUSG's work with the administration to resolve last year's housing difficulties as a successful example of that.

Thanks in part to MUSG's efforts in resolving the housing issue, Marquette had "the opportunity to welcome 95 students from the New Orleans area" this fall, Dooley said.

Mara Martinez, vice president of communications for the Pan-Hellenic Council and a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences, said Marquette's Greek organizations are working with MUSG to lead campus efforts for Hurricane Katrina relief.

Martinez said fundraising tables across campus have raised more than $1,000 so far, and encouraged senators to get their constituents involved in the process.

She also said Pi Beta Phi's "Pie-a-Phi" fundraiser will take place today from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. behind the John P. Raynor, S.J. library.

For $1, participants can take their shot at throwing a pie at a Pi Beta Phi member, she said. All proceeds will go toward programs to support children's literacy.

Inter-Fraternity Vice President of Communications and College of Communication senior David Keyes said recruitment is currently under way for both fraternities and sororities.

Keyes added that Greek Life will bring a speaker on sexual violence awareness speaker to campus on Sept. 21.

Brock Banks, a sophomore and College of Arts & Sciences senator, cited extending LIMO routes and bringing healthier food into dining halls among issues raised by his constituents.

College of Business Administration junior Erin Nobler, acting in place of of Financial Vice President Andrew Doyle, said an internal policies update bill for the senate was heading to the Business and Government committee for consideration.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 13, 2005.