UWM tames Eagles

The old brown keg will remain east of Marquette's campus for at least one more year. Marquette fell to Wisconsin-Milwaukee 31-14 this weekend to drop its third straight Brew City Classic.

Jason Harding, a graduate student and cornerback for the Marquette football team, had a 102-yard interception return in the second quarter. Sophomore quarterback Mike Grossoehme completed a 43-yard pass to Anthony Rollins for Marquette's second touchdown of the game. It was not enough, however, to overcome UWM.

The Panthers also returned an interception for a touchdown in addition to scoring on a blocked punt return. It is one of several games where mistakes have doomed Marquette.

The team is disappointed but Charlie Weber, a middle linebacker for the club, said there is plenty to be happy about as well.

"This is a young team," Weber said. "Over half the team is new. So we are getting them some experience with each new game they play."

Head coach Red Maloney thought there is plenty left to focus on and play for the rest of the year.

"It's going to start to come together for us," Maloney said. "We've got a week off coming up and we are going to get some injured guys back fairly soon. We are going to play the last two games one game at a time and hopefully come away with some wins."

Maloney would not blame the loss on injuries though. He said every team has injuries this time of year and the team just has to play through them.

"They hurt," Maloney said. "But ultimately you have to go out and win anyways."

The team's next game is on Halloween night. Weber said the team is excited about that because it offers a chance to play in a new atmosphere.

Ultimate Frisbee gets to first ever finals match

The Ultimate Frisbee club team went to Illinois to play in the Fall Out Classic this weekend. However, it did very little falling of its own, reaching its first ever finals match up in the club team's history.

Ryan Beaudoin, one of the regular players on the Ultimate Frisbee team, felt this is a signal for future tournaments.

"On the first day we let every one play because it was a preliminary day," Beaudoin said. "The second day we realized we had a good chance of winning and played some of the more regular guys. It's a good sign of things to come."

The tournament was made of mostly Big Ten teams. Purdue, Illinois, Iowa and Northwestern were some of the big names to attend the tournament.

Beaudoin said the tournament was a success because it got some of the younger guys a little bit more experience for when the spring season rolls around.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on October 18, 2005.