Seniors set standard for excellence

LOS ANGELES — She was going to challenge it. Midway through the second half of what turned out to be her final game in a Marquette uniform, senior Lindsay Michuda saw UCLA's Stacy Lindstrom about to settle a ball in the air.

The 5-foot Michuda was not about to back down from the 5-foot-11 Bruin midfielder; after all, the Golden Eagles had been climbing a mountain all night after conceding a goal in the first five minutes of the match. Michuda won the ball, but hustle plays became increasingly difficult for the Marquette seniors, who surrendered three demoralizing goals late in the game while trying to finish their collegiate careers with pride.

And just like that, it was over for Michuda, Heather Goranson, Julie Thompson, Sarah Uyenishi, Courtney Sinsky and Kristie Matola.

"It's going to take a while to sink in," Goranson said. "I didn't want to take my jersey off after the game."

Once it sinks in, the seniors will recognize their influence on the program, which had never before advanced to the third round of the NCAA tournament.

"As a new member of the Big East this year, I think we made a big statement," said senior midfielder Sarah Uyenishi. "I think people know who we are now, and now it's up to (the underclassmen) to keep that going."

Sophomore goalkeeper Laura Boyer is more than willing to keep it going.

"We set a standard this year for excellence, for winning," Boyer said. "I think our seniors have led us all year, and it's something we need to carry on."

Michuda, Thompson and Uyenishi formed the team's midfield backbone this season, while Goranson anchored the newly organized defense that frustrated high-profile opponents like Illinois, Notre Dame and Wisconsin.

The precedent, moreover, extends beyond soccer abilities. Each senior possessed an attitude conducive to the team's well-being.

"They're great," said associate head coach Frank Pelaez. "They're great because they did everything we asked and more. And they believed it. And then they told the other ones to believe it."

Now the seniors, once the pain of the UCLA loss diminishes, can reflect on their legacy.

"The one thing I told them is that they will always remember how special this team is," said head coach Markus Roeders. "And they will always remember the good times."

Notes:

To help savor the Sweet 16 experience in Los Angeles, the players spotted some celebrities (e.g., actress Jamie Lee Curtis and rocker Dave Grohl) during a Friday afternoon stroll down Rodeo Drive … Numerous family members of the Marquette players (and a few super-fans) made the trip to California and established a spirited cheering section… Marquette was one of four Big East teams to make the NCAA tournament and was the third to have been eliminated. Connecticut lost in the first round, West Virginia fell in the second round and Notre Dame has advanced to the quarterfinals.