Hits and misses mark MUSG’s fall

The fall semester has been busy for Marquette Student Government, with a strong emphasis on programs and outreach to student organizations.

The concerns students shared with their senators were different this year than in the past, focusing on "protecting students' rights" and "getting more student voice in key decisions" rather than topics such as residence hall improvements, said MUSG President Alex Hermanny, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

"I think a lot of it stems from (briefly changing the nickname to) the Gold," Hermanny said. "Students want to see the effects of their voice, and the Senate can really help them to get changes made."

Legislation

Debate arose throughout November over the Reserve Fund Budget Amendment, which stemmed from MUSG's funding of a fall break service trip to New Orleans after the Student Organization Allocation application deadline had passed.

The legislation would have given senators the option to re-evaluate Budget Committee decisions but was tabled after MUSG Adviser Jon Dooley expressed concern over a perceived overemphasis on political power.

Dooley said his comments were a minor event but were "a catalyst for some serious conversations about what they are doing and how to continue to improve and be more effective in working for students."

Brian Henry, senator for O'Donnell Hall and a freshman in the College of Communication, said Dooley's report had a more significant impact.

"His speech was the defining day of the semester and potentially the year. Everyone has come back and passed the test with flying colors," he said.

The Senate passed amendments last week to clarify financial policies for service projects and recommend that the University Budget Committee retain the U-Pass bus program despite an impending increase in its cost.

"It was a really great example of how student government can listen to students and take the information they hear to make a recommendation to the institution," Dooley said.

Outreach

Newly elected senators told the Tribune in September their main goal was to improve outreach efforts.

"I think the Senate's been really active at getting out there to find out what the students want," Hermanny said.

Members of the student organizations committee attended meetings of several groups and organized a sparsely attended forum to answer questions, said Dorothy Jenke, senator for McCormick Hall and a freshman in the College of Communication.

In order to address student concerns about freedom of expression, the student life committee is working on a student bill of rights and a resolution to review the code of conduct concerning technology, Henry said.

The Senate also plans to address the "forwarding of printing costs to students," said Dan Calandriello, a junior senator for the College of Business Administration.

A report will soon be released via e-mail to all undergraduates describing how the mandatory student activity fee is spent, according to Communications Vice President Laura Herzing, a senior in the College of Communication.

MUSG also faced fluctuating attendance for sponsored programs, turning away hundreds from the Nov. 17 Night of Chocolate but was unable to sell out the Nov. 15 Ben Kweller concert.