Vaughn preps for a ‘Wild’ night

Vince Vaughn has been a busy guy this past year. Between filming movies, making television appearances and having some sort of life, Vaughn dedicated the last month to traveling around the country doing a comedy show.

"I just kind of made time," Vaughn said in regards to his hectic schedule.

"Vince Vaughn's Wild West Comedy Show" started in Hollywood on Sept. 12 and is now winding down. Entitled "30 Days & 30 Nights — Hollywood to the Heartland," the show comes to the Pabst Theater on Sunday.

The tour is spearheaded by Vaughn, who is supported by four comics who he handpicked.

"All are from the Comedy Show, the famous Los Angeles Comedy Show," Vaughn said. "(David) Letterman started there… Robin Williams started there and so on. The next generation of comics are coming up from there."

The four comics are Bret Ernst, John Caparulo, Ahmed Ahmed and Sebastian Maniscalco. All of them are working their way up in the comedic world, and this country-wide tour may help get the word out.

"I'm friends with Ahmed Ahmed, who just received the Richard Pryor award for ethnic comedy which was given for the first time ever," Vaughn said. "The other three guys are really talented. They've been on 'The Tonight Show,' one has their own half hour special on Comedy Central. They are on the verge of breaking into better things."

The show involves stand-up and improvisation, but, besides being the emcee for the night, Vaughn plays a special role.

"I emcee the show and do sketches with guest stars. I bring people to different shows and improvise in the audience," Vaughn said. He also hints that some of these surprise guests could be friends from the music business.

Milwaukee is the third to last show of the comedy tour — which ends with two shows in Chicago — and the comedians have become accustomed to the road.

"It's become old hat, we've done a show every night. Don't do anything really different. Don't prep too much. Do a show, get on the bus, get up and do it all over again," Vaughn said. "I wanted to end in the Midwest being from the Midwest and go through the South, and I really wanted to play as many places as I could."

After the show closes next week, Vaughn's schedule doesn't really slow down. He will be starting to film a movie with David O'Russell (director of "I Heart Huckabees"). He also said that he just finished filming "The Break Up" with Jennifer Aniston and "Wedding Crashers" is still in theaters.

So why should Marquette students see the show?

"(College students) like to laugh," Vaughn said. "Some were fans of 'Old School' and 'Wedding Crashers,' all of the funny variety. Some even got into 'Swingers.' They should just come on down to the show and have some fun."

Tickets cost $35 and $40. If you can't make it to the show, Vaughn has been filming the show each night and will be turning it into a documentary film.

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on October 6, 2005.