Singer/songwriters to hit the Varsity

On Nov. 15, MUSG will add two more names to the list of recording artists — including last year's performances from Michael Tolcher, Gavin DeGraw and Ben Folds — that have played the Varsity Theatre. Ben Kweller and special guest Matt Nathanson don't plan on having a showy performance. Instead the two singer/songwriters are stripping down to play an entirely acoustic show.

"I'm not a normal singer/songwriter sitting on a stool with his legs crossed," Kweller said in an interview with the Tribune. He said that an acoustic show has a different energy to it as well. "Lately I've been doing college shows and they are a lot different from when I play with my band."

"Whenever we (Kweller and Nathanson) do shows together it always seems to be acoustic. It's going to be fun for me, because I would have been touring for six weeks with a band," Nathanson agreed. "To bust out and do a solo show is nice, a real good change of pace. It's always good to do (an acoustic show) in college, the audience is most receptive."

Kweller and Nathanson are not strangers and speak highly of one another.

"Matt's really cool. Psyched to see him. He's a great entertainer," Kweller said.

"A one-man party, that kid. He writes such great songs and he's hilarious," Nathanson said.

The two also shared a random memory of a night on tour. Prior to a show, Kweller's guitar didn't arrive at the venue — the airline he flew on actually misplaced it for awhile. Kweller was allowed to borrow Nathanson's guitar but switched out the guitar strap for his own.

"Driving back to our hotel and I realized the guitar strap was still on the guitar," Kweller said. He called Nathason in hopes to grab the strap before he left for home. "He was like 'Man, I'm just sleeping.' Me and my tour manager were waiting in the parking lot and waited for him to get up."

"He had his boy camping out waiting outside for the strap," Nathanson said. "He loves his strap apparently."

"I'm really attached to the guitar strap it's my favorite one. He couldn't believe we waited for him to get up," Kweller said.

Both artists are currently working on albums which will be released sometime early 2006. Also, Kweller has been doing a little extra work on the Internet.

"Everybody should check at myspace.com/benkweller," Kweller said, "I just found out about myspace. There was someone pretending to be me for about a year. I had to write the guy and e-mail and say 'you're using my identity and can I have it back?'"

Besides behind-the-scenes hi-jinks, the two performers say that Marquette students will have a great time at the concert.

"I feel like (students) should come because it's different. I'm different than any of the other solo male singers of our generation. I definitely do something different for a singer/songwriter," Kweller said.

Kweller may have the more subtle reason students should check out the show, but Nathanson promises something out of the ordinary.

"It'll be the best experience they ever had, like the best sex they've ever had," Nathanson said. "It'll be a threeway, me, Ben and whoever they are (in the audience). We're the people to see."

He also says that there could be farm animals, disappearing U-hauls and flying without wings.