New senators aim to lower student funds

The 16 newly elected Marquette Student Government residential senators are ready to implement their goals of putting students' money in the right places and improving campus-wide communication and involvement with MUSG.

The senators were elected Wednesday by 1,111 online voters, a number almost 400 higher than last year's total of 724 constituents. The highest turnout rate was in Straz Tower, where 183 of 393 residents voted in a heated contest.

Four more spots — two commuter and two off-campus senators — will be appointed.

"I think that a lot of people view MUSG as kind of an intimidating organization. They know that it's there but they don't really know how to contact it or they think they shouldn't contact it," said Dorothy Jenke, a senator for McCormick Hall and a freshman in the College of Communication. "I think our most important goal is to make people realize that they can come to us."

The MUSG governing body went to Camp Minkini in Menomonee Falls for a weekend retreat to introduce new senators to the organization and inform them of issues MUSG expects to face this year.

Food service and campus safety were among the major concerns discussed at the retreat, said John Daniels, senator for South Hall and a College of Arts & Sciences freshman.

"We're going to go out and make a more concerted effort this year to connect with the rest of the student population and bring that feedback into the meetings," said Brian Henry, senator for O'Donnell Hall and a College of Communication freshman.

Patrick Landry, senator for Straz Tower and a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences, was a senator for the Hilton and O'Donnell Hall last year. He said he plans to push measures that will save students' money, including a collection of free and open source software and a review of the 125-meal block plan's pricing.

"If you have a 125-block meal plan, each meal costs you $10.08. If you go down to breakfast and get a bowl of cereal and a banana, that just costs you $10. I think that's kind of absurd," Landry said.

Other senators said they are concerned about students' financial situations.

"Since money for this organization is coming from the students, our focus should be on fellow students. If the money is coming from their pockets, then they're going to be expecting us to do things for them, and that is our ultimate responsibility," said Kevin Gandy, a senator for McCormick Hall and a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Residence hall senators also have plans and goals for their own buildings.

Landry said he would push for weekend meals and efficient transportation to campus for residents of Straz Tower during the time when both Wisconsin Avenue and Clybourn Street will be closed.

Henry said O'Donnell Hall will plan tailgates and other events to increase school spirit, which he said is "great, but not like it was three years ago when the basketball team went to the Final Four."

This article was published in The Marquette Tribune on September 27, 2005.