The Director’s Chair

When the West Wells Street Blockbuster closed its doors earlier this year, friends and acquaintances kept telling me that I have the best on-campus video store.

I was skeptical at first. But after visiting numerous apartments and residences around Marquette, carefully surveying one DVD/VHS collection after another, I'm pleased to announce that everyone's right: I do have the best on-campus video store. And we're open for your business.

My bedroom is stocked with a varied assortment of titles suited to any MU student's needs — particularly my own. We're located at 831 N. 16th Street, apartment 303, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. (Sorry, but the buzzer doesn't work, so just call up and I'll toss you some keys.)

Our most recent acquisitions include John Landis' "An American Werewolf in London," a pair of Jacques Demy New Wave classics ("The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" and "Lola") and season three of "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Larry David's hit HBO comedy series.

Tentative future releases — pending how much graduation money I receive — include François Truffaut's "Jules and Jim" and "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou: Special Edition."

Our music selection is also quickly expanding. "The Work of Michel Gondry" and the "Beastie Boys: Video Anthology" are available, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' "Tell Me What Rockers to Swallow" are among our most popular rentals.

Longtime costumers continue to express their satisfaction.

"You've got some pretty weird DVDs," said Brian Montavon, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. "Lots of foreign films, lots of black and white ones, they're usually alright. I liked 'Citizen Kane.'"

Montavon added, "And you're always there to let me in."

Our convenient location and hospitable climate make the tedium of browsing feel fresh again. If you need a glass of water or have to use the bathroom, just ask! Also, my bedroom's knowledgeable staff is always available for a recommendation or a quick game of movie trivia.

"You keep asking me to 'work the desk' while you're at class," said my roommate Pat Keegan, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences. "What the hell are you talking about? And why are strangers always walking through our apartment?"

For a low membership fee of nothing but a sincere promise, customers can rent up to three titles at a time. Just get 'em back to me, you know, whenever.

Nascent filmmaker Cory Husher, a senior in the College of Communication, calls my bedroom "the coolest place to borrow DVDs. I go to Kyle's whenever I need inspiration for my cinematic vision. He's got some rad movies."

My bedroom will delight Kubrick devotees and "What About Bob?" fans alike. By the way, you should check out George Clooney's "Solaris." Seriously, it's not bad, you'll like it, I swear.

Carritt, a senior in the College of Arts & Sciences, is a frequent collaborator with the Marquee section.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on May 5 2005.