‘Wax’ refuses to melt with help from cast and crew

See Paris Die.

The newest, possibly the best, plot point that moviemakers, the trendy Hollywood shop Kitson — the store that created T-shirts with the saying — and even Paris Hilton herself could use to catapult "House of Wax" into theaters.

The "House of Wax" set also became the center of attention when the entire studio went up in flames and everything — set, figures even camera equipment — was lost. The beautiful filming location, on the Gold Coast of Australia, couldn't stop this hardship from hitting the production.

Production was set back "four days, but what also happened we lost our stage and the wax figures, and they had to rebuild." Chad Michael Murray, who experienced the fire first hand, said. "I had to go back to 'One Tree Hill' and come back in September to finish filming."

It was quite an ordeal, according to Elisha Cuthbert.

Jared Padalecki also stars with Cuthbert, Hilton and Murray in the remake of the 1953 movie by the same name.

"It's only a remake in that we show the same title, it's a new genre." Padalecki said.

The contemporary "House of Wax" is the story of six college students on their way to see the biggest football game of the season, but find that a shortcut wasn't their best bet. They decide to camp out and during the night a trucker spooks the group. In the morning, they find that one of their cars has been tampered with and a local offers a ride into the closest town for miles.

The town is seemingly deserted. The main attraction, the House of Wax, draws the attention of the teens. Little do they know that something wicked is at work. The tagline for the movie should shed a little light on what to expect: Prey. Slay. Display.

The four stars are new to the movie scene, and are all tackling the horror genre for the first time.

"Horror is a lot trickier (of a genre) to choose." Cuthbert said. "It was fun, and I had a great experience."

Hilton said the entire cast was perfect in the roles that they were chosen for and the movie does a good job of including sexy, yet tasteful scenes.

"Paris wears some really revealing clothing, and they wanted me to wear long johns, and I was wondering where all my sexy clothing was." Cuthbert said.

The rest of the stars say that "House of Wax" will satisfy those who crave gripping, scary movies.

"People in college remember looking back at some of the scary movies as a kid and as a teen, when they were growing up, and wonder where that's gone and we have it." Cuthbert said. "Plus it's a good date movie."

"It has all the makings of a generation flick and a horror flick. Horror movies get a reaction out of you, you jump, you get scared and forget you're in a movie." Padalecki said. "It's like being in a rollercoaster; you lose yourself for a bit. It's an adrenaline rush. That's why people love it. I love being taken on a ride."

And if you're looking for the horror movie staple, Murray says that "If you're into the gore, we cornered the market on the gore."

But, it wasn't always the best situation for the actors to be in.

"It was physically enduring. Boy, you wanted a shower at the end of the movie bad." Murray said.

"Showering wasn't even good enough especially when you throw wax into the mix." Cuthbert said.

"The wax is a pain in the ass, man." Murray agreed.

The audience can get a preview of the movie and a behind the scenes look at "House of Wax" because MTV was allowed to film the entire process for "Movie Life."

"At first it was a little nerve-wracking, but the cameras weren't intrusive at all. If you wanted them to film just tell them, if you didn't they wouldn't." Hilton said. "It's a cute show and an interesting behind the scenes making of the movie. The memories are all on tape and we can watch forever."

Having a wax figure made in their likeness is also a way for celebrities to be immortalized forever but will the cast of "House of Wax" ever do such a thing?

Cuthbert and Murray say they will pass, but that Hilton is supposedly going to have one done. They say it's good for her and are excited to see how it will turn out.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on April 28 2005.