It’s Jazz Baby

A prevalent but sometimes overlooked part of Milwaukee is its jazz scene. Contrary to popular belief, there is a world outside of Marquette University and Wisconsin Avenue.

Beyond open mic night at Conway's, keg parties and Caffrey's progressive taps is a vibrant and diverse music scene tucked away in old buildings and dimly lit bars crowded with an eclectic mix of jazz performers, listeners and people just along for the ride.

From supper clubs with live jazz, to dive bars with corner stages, Milwaukee has it all, and bar owners believe Milwaukee musicians have played a large part in the history of American jazz.

On a mission to continue that legacy and introduce new talent to the community, three Milwaukee jazz venues have found success. Caroline's Jazz Club, Panache and The Jazz Estate all have live jazz music four or more days a week and laid back, welcoming atmospheres, but that is about all they have in common.

Take advantage of the culture and diversity the city has to offer. One of Milwaukee's best-kept secrets is out of the bag, so come along and explore three diverse jazz venues.

Caroline's Jazz Club 401 S. 2nd St.

Situated between warehouses and factory buildings from decades ago, just south of the Historic Third Ward is Caroline's, a jazz club that offers "world class jazz in an old world setting."

Owner Caroline Rubitsky and her protégé bartender Scott place the main focus on music, hosting impressive local acts such as Manty Ellis and resident players and 2004 WAMI winners "The Paul Spencer Band." Rubitsky and Scott have a distinct desire to keep the jazz scene pure and to entertain people who come to hear the music, not just to drink.

The crowd at Caroline's is mixed but generally middle-aged jazz connoisseurs who come to listen to the tunes and only chat in between sets. Contrary to the trend in its Fifth Ward location, Caroline's is not a local neighborhood bar. Regulars travel from Racine and other surrounding cities to enjoy the good music and friendly service.

Wednesday nights offer blues music, while Thursday, Friday and Saturdays have jazz. According to Scott, Saturdays bring in the most people, but Thursdays usually boast a better, more improvisational jazz scene.

Caroline's, although frequently nearly vacant, does bring in a crowd unique in its dedication to jazz and may be the most authentic of the three venues visited. It is definitely a place to check out. Make sure to go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday if you want the real experience and don't leave without testing the martini bar and gourmet pizza selection.

Panache 4034 W. Good Hope Rd.(Glendale)

Know music, know life. No music, no life.

Posh but not pompous, Panache gives its clientele classically elegant dining front and center to a professional stage of jazz variety seven nights a week.

Last October Daniel Vaughn and Erin Hackney, both in their early 30s, opened what they call "the premier, sophisticated, jazz supper club & restaurant in Milwaukee; A place for upwardly mobile urban professionals to kick back or kick up their heels amidst friends."

In addition to many local and regional artists, Panache also brings in national recording artists that vary from original jazz to spoken word to gospel that are always welcomed by an interactive crowd.

Mondays are thought provoking as well as entertaining with Organic Soul & Live Jazz. Local and national spoken word artists participate in Slam poetry contests where audience members judge amidst a backdrop of a down tempo jazz trio.

A program unique to Panache is Club Classroom, a collaborative program created with the Wisconsin Conservatory of Music. This program is free and designed for local high school students with jazz performance experience and allows them to perform in jazz ensembles with top local jazz artists Tuesday nights on the Panache stage. Students also have the opportunity to compete for scholarships to the Conservatory.

Panache also holds an Inspirational Gospel brunch on Sundays. This is definitely the only place in Milwaukee where you can have gospel for breakfast.

The Jazz Estate 4023 N. Murray Ave.

The trendiest of the three venues, The Jazz Estate entertains young bohemians and mature jazz gurus who frequent this small bar and call each other by name. But make sure to refer to this bar as 'The Estate' if you want to be hip to the scene and not stand out as a first timer.

This dark, overly intimate 50's style venue situated in a residential area of Milwaukee's East Side, just a stones throw away from the high traffic area of Farwell and North Avenues, has been attracting internationally recognized acts since 1977. The Erotic Adventures of the Static Chicken is a current favorite and graces the stage every Tuesday night. This four-piece jazzy jam band brings in a young earthy crowd every week and packs them to the walls, shoulder to shoulder, as they jump along to the addictive beats.

Wednesdays through Saturdays one can find local trios and quartets that sometimes fill the small stage with such a sound you must be nearly on top of the one next to you to communicate over the crashing cymbals and discordant melodies.

Kris Crow calms things down with a microphone and guitar every Sunday night, and after a couple drinks will take almost any request you throw at him.

The Estate is definitely the top Milwaukee jazz venue. With such a diverse stage and audience, centralized location, and just plain cool atmosphere, there is always something to enjoy.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Feb. 24 2005.