‘Indie’pendent film study

There's something dubious about making any list. I know, for instance, that years from now, I'll look back on this one and scoff just as I've scoffed at films I previously adored (sorry "American Beauty"). That being said, the list you see below changed approximately 15 times. And upon further reflection, I can't pin down a No. 1.

That being said, this list also reminds me of how great — well, let's say better than average — this past year has been. In concocting this top 10 elixir, I realized that there were over 20 films that I really enjoyed, any of which could've made this list given more time for contemplation. On the flip side, there were those that disappointed — namely the annoyingly puckish French film "Love Me if You Dare" and Mike Nichols' "Closer." But, here alas, are the best films of 2004. Feel free to put them in any order you like. I know I will later.

1. "The Five Obstructions" — In this documentary, Danish director Lars von Trier propositions filmmaker Jorgen Leth to remake Leth's own "The Perfect Human" (a 13-minute short from the 1960s) five times, each time with an aesthetic or moral stumbling block. Under these strict conditions — allowing only 11 frames per shot, shooting a dinner scene in poverty-stricken Bombay, filming it as a cartoon — Leth battles his personal demons as an artist and, in turn, provides material for 2004's most inventive film.

2. "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" — Speaking of inventive, this one's something of a first for screenwriter Charlie Kaufman's heralded oddball material — one that's inventiveness is only superseded by its loveliness. Having Michel Gondry's knack for seamless dream sequences at the directorial helm doesn't hurt, nor does the inspired casting of Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet as mismatched lovers trying to halt their memories from being erased. It's a refreshingly stylish take on the traditional romance.

3. "Sideways" — The recent buzz and almost unanimous critical acceptance of Alexander Payne's "Sideways" has caused a few critics to bash it as undeserving, or overrated. About two college buddies — a cranky elitist, played by Paul Giamatti, and a goofy, hedonistic party animal played by Thomas Haden Church — taking a trip to the California wine country, an escape from their "failed" adulthoods, it's easy to see why some are surprised. The film's simplicity, though, is elegant and intentional as opposed to indolent, making it hard for me to complain.

4. "Bad Education" — My image of Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar seems to change with each film of his I watch. In his most recent work, the director's like a subtle Quentin Tarantino — if there could be such a thing— with his film noir-esque tale of espionage involving two reacquainted gay lovers (starring a cross-dressing Gael Garcia Bernal) who re-examine their schoolboy days of priest molestation to make a film. It's a great journey into the, well, weird — not to mentioned the best directed film of 2004 — and is a welcome addition to the director's outstanding filmography.

5. "Dogville" — "Entertainment Weekly's" film critic Owen Gleiberman wrote that Lars von Trier's "Dogville" — yes, the same director as "The Five Obstructions" — is the worst film of 2004. In it, a small town accepts Grace (played by Nicole Kidman), who's on the run from the mob, but eventually dehumanizes her to the point of regulatory rape and other humiliations. Shot completely on a sound stage, the film takes place in a non-descript place (Dogville), during a non-descript time, and leads me to believe that any anti-Americanism the film entails is overshadowed by its thematic ubiquity and depicts human, rather than American barbarism.

6. "Intimate Strangers" — A neurotic, unhappy woman (Sandrine Bonnaire) walks into the office of an equally unhappy tax attorney (Fabrice Luchini), mistaking him for a psychiatrist, and the two regularly meet and become reliant upon each other. As is his tendency, French director Patrice Leconte dissects the inner-connection between complete strangers. Though not as stimulating or moving as some of his previous work, most notably "The Girl on the Bridge," the director manages to once again create a compelling case study on human longing.

7. "Before Sunset" — Richard Linklater updates viewers on the status between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy in this sequel to "Before Sunrise" (1995) as they meet by chance in Paris. In doing so, he directs his greatest film to date. The director appears more patient while proving to be more aesthetically appealing and literate than ever before.

8. "Tarnation" — Jonathan Caouette's harrowing self-depiction — made, supposedly, for a mere $218 — is a rarity. Documenting his life's struggle — from growing up gay in a small Texas town to moving to New York — with his mother's schizophrenia, "Tarnation" uses snapshots and old video footage to create a nightmarish and emotionally gripping film.

9/10. "I Heart Huckabees" and "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" (and one more…) — This one's a tie. In fact, I'm going to mention that "Kill Bill: Vol. 2" should be included as well. OK, so a three-way tie. Inability to be decisive and snobbery aside, there's a commonality connecting all the films which made me group my 10 spot as such. Simply put: I had more damn fun watching these than any other film released in 2004. Each walks the admirably tenuous line between the absurd and touching. So, thanks Wes, Quentin and David.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Jan. 20 2005.