The Polyphonic Spree

Whether or not The Polyphonic Spree is aware of it, the 20-plus member band is quickly creating its own philosophy, then dishing it out to the masses through choral anthems and beautifully complex symphonic arrangements.

Tim DeLaughter and company spent almost a year piecing together Together We're Heavy — an eternity compared to their debut The Beginning Stages Of… which was merely a demo — and the effort is obvious, the theoretical dose stronger.

The band delivers a sound that perfectly encompasses its musicianship with their message — peaceful and soothing, yet strangely melancholic. Recognizing the cruelty of life, The Polyphonic Spree attacks the world head on with a positive mentality. "Take the time to find the world another way/I wanna be more than yesterday" and "Holding on, holding on sunshine/Keep the light on in your soul" provide words of encouragement for any listener.

The tracks, known as Sections 11-20, vary from toe-tapping beats and loud brass to eerie, haunting strings and a stormy, rolling percussion. The album peaks with the pop opera "Section 19 (When The Fool Becomes A King)" which takes listeners on a journey comprised of stages that discuss the path to waking up and discovering the light in life. Beginning with "Of the life you choose/Keep yourself feeling brand new," the track reaches a joyous, party-like ending with the phrase "You know the time is right/When you reach the sun … Sun/And it makes me smile/On my way."

A simplistic philosophy? Sure. An aurally-pleasing philosophy? Definitely.

Grade: A