Expiration of weapons ban decried as ‘dangerous’

On Monday, Sept. 13, our country got a little more dangerous.

That was the day our Congress and our president allowed the assault weapons ban to expire, making available highly dangerous weapons that had been kept from public circulation. This allows military-style weapons to be purchased by laypeople, putting more weapons — and more dangerous weapons — on the streets and in our hands.

The assault weapons ban was championed by Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) in 1994. It prevented assault weapons — defined as semi-automatic rifles, shotguns or pistols designed to spray large amounts of bullets in a rapid fashion — from being sold to the public. This type of weapon is meant to be used in the military. When bought by civilians, assault weapons are disproportionately used in mass shootings, from the Columbine High School massacre to the sniper attacks in Washington D.C. in 2002.

Assault weapons are even more dangerous than handguns or hunting weapons. This is because these guns fire with greater velocity — power that results in easier penetration of the skin. More injuries of increased severity are caused by assault weapons. According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, the spray-shooting technique made easy by assault weapons results in multiple trauma-related injuries, causing more pain and suffering to those hurt by these weapons.

If pathos is not convincing enough, consider the monetary facts. According to Physicials for Social Responsibility, the extensive and painful rehabilitation from such an injury costs between $15,000 and $20,000, not including the $150,000 cost required to stay in an intensive care unit. The cost to human life is too great to allow this ban to expire.

Some may argue that our Second Amendment rights allow us to own a gun. Unfortunately, when this Amendment is quoted, the former half is conveniently left off. "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed" is the full Amendment. This right "shall not be infringed" when a "well regulated Militia" requires weapons for defense. Gang members with Uzis are not a well regulated militia. They are a threat to our security and the security of our nation.

President Bush is running his re-election campaign with the mantra that he will provide "homeland security" and keep us safe from the threat of terrorism. What about terrorism from within? What about school shootings, disgruntled employees, gang members and children who find abandoned weapons? Why allow our security at home to be so undermined? This is what Bush has done by allowing the ban to expire. Any claims he has of holding the safety interests of Americans close to heart are clearly voided by this decision, though his concerns for the gun lobby are quite well-displayed.

Even worse than the Bush's inaction on this vital issue is his inconsistent stance on it. While campaigning four years ago, he proclaimed his support for the ban. As citizens and members of Congress voiced concern for the impending enactment of the sunset clause, Bush declared he would sign the renewal if it came across his desk. Despite his overwhelming support and vow to sign the bill, Bush did not make a single phone call to the members of Congress to encourage a vote on the issue. His deep concern for the issue did not translate into action.

Fortunately, it is not too late for the assault weapons ban. Not only can it be reinstated but some of the loopholes that allowed assault weapons to be sold under different names could be closed, making the law more effective and helping to protect Americans. To protect all citizens from these devastating weapons, please make your voice heard. Vote for Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) for president on Nov. 2.

Madden is a freshman in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.