Pro-Warrior prof scolded

The sports mascot name change dilemma at Marquette is an important topic. Perhaps this is why I was so disappointed at Dr. John McAdams' treatment of the subject in his Sept. 21 Viewpoint, "Professor blames anti-Warrior 'leftists.'"

McAdams' frequent references to "leftists," "racial hustlers" and "liberals" as the culprits of this identity crisis go too far and effectively turn the issue from people to partisan politics. That's unfortunate as the question deserves better than left or right blather.

It deserves an honest look into the perception of Native Americans and the merits of antiquated dogma. This kind of divisive rhetoric is typical of advocates of an archaic ideology who are prepared to reject any form of criticism by labeling the group or individual offering the critique.

Of course, McAdams has no problem dismissing the expert sources of concerned professors since he cannot in good, conservative conscience put any stock in the opinions of such disagreeable associations that oppose Native American team names like the American Anthropological Association and the U.S. Civil Rights Commission.

However, he failed to mention a few other opposing organizations cited in the letter that most people would agree are reliable authorities on the issue: The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, the National Education Association and major religious denominations.

Political correctness, as McAdams would have you believe, is at the core of the current controversy imposed by "smug, self-righteous forces of orthodoxy." Actually, reputable, bipartisan cultural organizations are behind the call for an end to Native American team name use.

I believe when Marquette first introduced the "Warriors" over half a century ago, administrators, professors and the student body probably did not intend to offend anyone. After all Hank Raymonds had the full support of all the Wisconsin tribes 50 years ago, but what about in 2004? I wonder if every last tribe would be so "honored" by a Marquette Warrior mascot today. Turning back the clock is only helpful if the context of the time period is considered.

But times change and so do modes of society. Continuing a cycle of stereotypes after being warned by significant, albeit "leftist," leaders is not only bad history — that's just plain mean. Living in an age and on a campus where faculty and students can carry on a dialogue of appropriate racial representations without fear of being offended takes a collective effort.

Combating ignorance is always an up-hill battle. This kind of education cannot be learned in class but must be sought in the appreciation and respect of culture. Christian tradition and human decency call us all to do more, not less for others. It's tempting to simplify the issue politically as some professors have chosen to do.

Much more effort is required to strive to understand and accommodate change, avoiding unnecessary offense rather than staking claims in the name of tradition. Erring on the side of cultural and human sensitivity leaves no one behind. If being politically correct is a "blunder," then it is my suggestion we blunder beautifully.

Sellnow is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.