Politics students disgrace humor

So you're reading the headline and immediately you're thinking, "God, this is going to be some whiny pointless Viewpoint piece written by some stupid jerk." First off, ouch. Second off, there is a reason why I would use this title.

I am a political science student at Marquette — as such I am part of a group with the worst sense of humor ever. I mean, ever. Worse than the nerdy robot-obsessed engineers, worse than the Hitler-buff history students and even less funny than the Theo majors. How you might ask, can I possible know political science students are that un-funny?

I'm sitting in a political science class and my professor is giving yet another lecture about the post-cold war system the world is currently in. There are 40 or 50 students scribbling away, when my professor asks, "Who in this new system is an enemy of the United States?" Someone answers "North Korea," and he writes that down. Someone else says "Middle Eastern terrorists" and that goes on the board. Then this guy answers …

Now to be fair, I never saw him — for all I know he was a perfectly normal well-adjusted dude that simply made one off-key remark. I sincerely doubt this, though. The guy responds with, "Fidel."

Here's why political science people are lame: Some people (including the gentleman who said this) actually laughed — laughed out loud. So let me explain how — as an intellectually removed political science student — the "Fidel" joke was not funny.

First, the joke centered on the idea that Cuba is a funny entity. I think the students found it funny because Cuba is a failing nation?

Second, this joke is supposed to be funny because Cuba is a well-discussed global entity. Theoretically, if I was feeling hilarious, I could walk into Joe Schmoe's political science class and say, "Blah, blah, blah, the Taliban" or, "The answer is Pinochet" and the students would laugh like crazy.

Third, and possibly the most frustrating aspect of the joke, was he said "Fidel" — not "Castro," or heaven forbid actually say "Cuba." No he said Fidel, in an informal manner — like it would be funnier if he answered, "Mi amigo, Fidel"

I know this seems like a minute and maybe even pointless issue to you non-political science kids, but you can't really fathom being in the redundant, uncomfortably not-funny hell that is my class. No, scratch that. It's not the class, it's the students. Over and over and over, it has gotten to the point where I can't go to study groups anymore.

So I'm giving an open invitation to the campus. Non-political science students: Reject these incredibly lame jokes; don't succumb to the secret evil of pity laughing. Every laugh is a vote of support. To my fellow political science students: Fidel is not, will not and cannot ever be funny. Let it go.

Monacelli is a junior political science major.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.