Patriotism of Green Day, free speech defended

Mike Urich's well-written Sept. 28 Viewpoint entitled "Green Day called 'unpatriotic'" decried Green Day's recent single "American Idiot" as deeply unpatriotic, and no doubt the words of the song may indicate to some that Green Day — particularly lead singer Billie Jo Armstrong — have a big problem with the way things are going. I have no idea what Green Day means in their song, and I certainly cannot argue that Urich's interpretation that they hate America is wrong, because I don't know one way or the other. Sadly, I have not been able to befriend the band's members over the last 10 years.

However, what I do know is patriotism is broader than Urich suggests, and I argue Green Day is deeply patriotic precisely because they speak out about what they hate. The ability to critique our own nation and culture are absolutely fundamental to the very patriotic principles that surround such cherished ideas as freedom of speech in the First Amendment. America is great precisely because people are not forbidden from asserting that they flat-out hate this conty or that they think Americans are idiots. This is the cornerstone of free speech.

It is people who make claims like Urich asserts Green Day is making that make people more acutely aware of what it means to have these rights. There is a flipside to free speech, and some people will not like it. It is admittedly difficult to stand up for the rights of people who are loudly — as in Green Day's case — shouting about what you hate. The patriotic thing is to embrace that as a part of the "gentle tug" of the First Amendment reminding us of how privileged we are to live in a place where citizens can criticize themselves for being idiots.

It is uncomfortable criticism that often leads to a richer understanding of what we value, and there is value also in those who point out major flaws in the way we live. Without those who oppose our views in a democracy, we might never question whether we are on the right track. This in turn seems to lead to a death of freedom and a death of democracy.

I don't wish to endorse Green Day; I suggest oppositional words are an important part of patriotism that should not be overlooked simply because we find the message distasteful. I am not an "American Idiot" and proud of it, thus I support Green Day's lyrics precisely because they hate America and I love it. Every time I hear that song, I will be reminded of why that is: Freedom to criticize without threat of censorship. I might even turn up the volume.

Roever is a second-year law student.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.