Alumnus doubts culture’s hold on symbolism

I think people acting as if American culture can have no concept of a warrior because Native American culture has a strangle hold on its pop-cultural depiction is ridiculous. I think it is shortsighted for people to say because you at one time used derogatory stereotypes of Native Americans to portray your "Warrior" mascot, you can no longer use the concept of a warrior. I think Marquette's decision to change the name wasted an opportunity to show real sensitivity, creativity and leadership in such a common type of social disagreement.

The concept of warriors and the words that convey that concept span far beyond American or Native American culture. Every culture has a unique concept of a warrior. No one needs to act as if the Native American warrior is the standard by which a warrior is portrayed. We do not need to patently copy any culture's definition of a warrior. We need to establish such cultural concepts for our nation that show we have learned from our mistakes.

The concept of a warrior is central to any national or cultural identity and will be for a long time. The concept will be central to this university's identity for a long time. No one will be able to sweep it under the rug, especially with cries of racism and discrimination. If we cannot find a way to express our many identities and characteristics without offending someone or charging to the defense of our egos, we will become a pool of radicals not unlike those radicals that threaten the safety of ordinary people in this age of terrorism.

Change the name of the mascot back to Warriors. Find something in our society that depicts discipline, strength, vigilance and intelligence or whatever it is that captures the character of this university, caricature it and show the world we can recognize, correct and move past our transgressions without being held hostage to unintelligent squabbles.

Thomas is a 1996 business graduate.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.