Shopping for support

Kathleen Simon is a former Marquette student, a registered nurse who spent four years in the Peace Corps in Africa, a former football coach, a Cub Scout leader and a foster mom. Students might know her better, though, as the lady who canvasses for the Democratic National Committee in front of Walgreens on campus.

"We're encouraging all of the students to get mobilized, to vote," Simon said. "(We're) encouraging all the students to look at the issues, to listen to the debate. For both sides."

Simon, who considers herself an Independent, is volunteering in her first national campaign. She has not had a day off since May 11, and she does not plan on taking off until after the election.

"President Bush has not proved to me that he has a plan," Simon said. "There is just so much more that can be done, and I believe (Democratic nominee) Sen. (John) Kerry has a plan to do it."

She volunteered to spend some of her canvassing time at Marquette.

"I love students. I love talking to you guys on the street," Simon said. "I don't believe that you guys are the world of the future. I actually believe that you guys are the world of now. You have potential and power now. And part of that power is through the vote."

Simon is familiar with the life of a Marquette student, since she began college here in August 1969.

Simon spoke about living in O'Donnell Hall, then a women's dorm with pink bathrooms, having a midnight curfew Sunday through Thursday and playing xylophone for the Marquette Band.

"I loved Marquette. I loved Marquette. I can't tell you how much I loved Marquette," Simon said.

She also spoke about watching the Vietnam War draft numbers being picked in the Varsity Theatre, while students sat clutching the lists of numbers that had yet to be called. She said there was a student sit-in protesting the war in St. Joan of Arc Chapel. She told of meeting in front of Gesu Church for protest marches.

"We had so much on the line," Simon said.

Simon's scholarship was eliminated in the spring of 1970, and she finished her education at the Milwaukee City General Hospital School of Nursing. Her experiences here, though, stay with her.

"We were taught to look at everything as: is it legal, is it ethical, is it moral, does it take care of mankind and is it thereby pleasing to God," Simon said. "And that would be my challenge for the Marquette students."

Dan Suhr, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences and the president of Marquette's Students for Bush, said there are no similar representatives for Bush on campus because that is not their focus.

"Anytime you have people on a college campus from either side who can encourage students to get involved, that's a great thing," Suhr said. "I think it's great that she can do that and she's that fired up about her candidate, and there are other people in Wisconsin that are just as fired up about Bush," Suhr said.

Passersby have different reactions to Simon's presence.

"I don't think that handing out buttons really influences whether you are going to vote Democratic or Republican," said Adrienne Booth, a junior in the College of Arts & Sciences.

"I think that it's good that she's out there trying to get students involved and active," said Danielle Vachon, a freshman in the College of Business Administration.