Senior night ‘mare’

Wednesday night's match against Wisconsin was supposed to be a statement game for the men's soccer team.

The players knew one victory couldn't erase their 5-10-1 record or turn around a season that began with NCAA Tournament aspirations, but they were eager to prove themselves against an in-state rival.

"There was not going to be one game that could turn around the season, but if there was one that could make a difference, it was Wisconsin, at home, on senior night," senior captain Danny Mullin said. "There are so many guys on the other team you know. It felt like a high school game. It would have been more special to win."

In the early going, it looked like Marquette could pull it off.

The Golden Eagles led 1-0 on a goal by sophomore Matt Blouin after 25 minutes, but then the floodgates sprung open and a deluge of fouls and goals followed. It didn't stop until the final whistle sounded and the Badgers had grabbed a 5-3 victory at Valley Fields.

"The history of this team is that when we give a goal that could have been prevented instead of being proactive we become nervous and reactive and then it's 2-1," Mullin said.

Wisconsin's first goal came at 34:12 when senior Nick Van Sicklen played senior forward Jed Hohlbein onto goal with a perfect entry pass and Hohlbein beat freshman goalkeeper Andy Kroll to the far post from 12 yards out.

Two minutes later Van Sicklen and Hohlbein teamed up to score the Badgers' second goal on Kroll. Van Sicklen got the ball to Hohlbein near the top of the box and he sent a half volley into the back of the net.

At 43:32 Wisconsin got another goal on the board courtesy of a Golden Eagles mistake in the back.

Wisconsin sophomore midfielder Aaron Witchgerdrove a corner kick from the far left corner into the box that Kroll tried to punch out of danger. Instead of being cleared, the ball bounced off a Marquette defender and into the goal.

"We got a drubbing in the last 15 minutes of the first half. They played well, we didn't. Sad," Marquette head coach Steve Adlard said moments before the second half got underway.

The halftime break did nothing to change that.

Twelve seconds into the second half, Hohlbein scored the game winner and got the hat trick when he beat Kroll's replacement, freshman Steven Grow.

In the 54th minute, Van Sicklen was pulled down outside the box and then added an insurance goal when his ensuing free kick was deflected and found its way into the back of the net.

Marquette's first goal also came off a free kick just outside the box. Junior Blair Kohlmeyer played the ball level to Blouin. His one-time shot from 15 yards out hit the cross bar and bounced right back to him. He didn't miss the second time and slotted the ball inside the far post.

Blouin now has a point in seven consecutive games and seven goals on the season.

Kohlmeyer and sophomore defender Alex Beil added goals in the second half, but by then it was too late.

"We can't wait until we're down to decide we're going to play," Adlard said.

The Golden Eagles had chances to draw even closer, but referee Dave Jaworski didn't call a foul when senior Chris Lee was dragged down in the box with under five minutes to play.

"That should have been a penalty kick, it really should have," said Adlard. "Wisconsin should have closed shop but we missed two easy chances. We could have tied it."

The Golden Eagles final match of the season is Sunday, not Saturday as it was originally scheduled, at Cincinnati. The game is scheduled to start at noon.