Anchor reflects on election

Tim Russert, the moderator of NBC's Meet the Press, presented his views Wednesday night on the election and the challenges facing the country.

Russert spoke for 40 minutes at the Pabst Theater, 144 E. Wells St., first reviewing the 2000 election and 9/11, and then exploring the last election.

"It was important that this year there be big issues and big differences on those big issues," Russert said.

He explained that voters choose a person they like as well as a person whose policies they like when they pick a leader.

The voters viewed President Bush as a strong leader and a regular, likable guy, he said. But voters also saw an option in Sen. John Kerry.

"People saw him as a viable president, whether you agreed with his policies and politics or not," Russert said.

In the end it came down to the key issues of terrorism and values, according to Russert. He said the polls showed a bump in the importance of those issues in the last week, which he says was partially due to the Osama bin Laden video, in which the terrorist warned Americans that their safety was in their own hands, not Bush's or Kerry's.

"It reinforced this notion of terrorism, and that helped the president," he said.

Russert said it was significant that the remaining undecided voters went for Bush instead of Kerry in this election, as that demographic usually goes for the challenger.

He said because of the debates over the Electoral College, more states might follow the lead of Maine and Nebraska and award their electoral votes by congressional districts.

"It may give more of a sense of national unity, instead of this sense of winner take all," Russert said.

He went on to focus on two issues that he said the campaigns had not given enough attention to: Social Security and children.

In the next 20 years, the number of people on Social Security will double, Russert said.

"If you're going to keep the program viable for the next generation, you're going to have to make some cuts," he said.

Then Russert addressed the situation of U.S. children, specifically the inequality in education and opportunities they are given.

"We can do this with our kids if we all accept there is a problem," Russert said. "I believe that it will probably have a more profound affect on our country and our world than any other issue."

Russert then answered questions from the audience. When asked if the snide comments made along the campaign trail matter, he responded by saying that people are longing for authenticity in their candidates.

"In the end it really is, in so many ways, it's an investment of yourself," Russert said.

The speech was sponsored by the Junior League of Milwaukee, which sponsors local efforts to help the community. The audience in the Pabst Theater, which was three-quarters full, was responsive to Russert's speech.

"I think it's just interesting to get an insider's view on Washington," said Grant Thies, a senior in the College of Business Administration. "It's amazing how many leaders he's met with."

"He should have been much more anecdotal and less reviewing of the past week," said T.C. Levy, 62, of Bayside.

"I thought he was very engaging," said Deb Mumm-Hill, 40, of Shorewood. "I was kind of touched by his humbleness."