Studies say more vaccines likely

New research suggests there is a way to increase the amount of available flu vaccine, a problem Marquette is still dealing with.

Two studies published last week in the online New England Journal of Medicine propose a method of injecting flu vaccines that would allow the vaccine to be used for more people.

"Potentially you could use much less vaccine than you currently use if you used the intradermal approach," said Greg Folkers, special assistant for research reporting at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

The intradermal approach involves injecting the vaccine in between the layers of skin instead of into the muscle. Folkers said it is the same method now used for tuberculosis tests.

"By putting the vaccine into the skin instead of muscle it creates a more efficient immune response," Folkers said.

In the study "Dose Sparing with Intradermal Injection of Influenza Vaccine," researchers found that using one-fifth of the normal dosage in the skin got the same immune response as using a normal injection from people between 18 and 40.

Another study, "Serum Antibody Responses after Intradermal Injection against Influenza," had similar results in people between 18 and 60, but found the vaccine did not work in people over 60.

Folkers said the method has existed since the 1960s, but it will take years of more trials before it is completely accepted by the medical community.

"People have thought about this and done this for a long time, it's just more salient now with the current flu vaccine shortage," Folkers said.

The nation is still trying to deal with a flu vaccine shortage.

"Half of the dosages are available in the U.S. than last year," said Lisa Taylor, clinical coordinator of the Visiting Nurse Association flu shot program.

The Visiting Nurse Association usually sponsors the Shoo the Flu event at Marquette, which was canceled this year.

According to Diane Walcheske, lead nurse of Student Health Service, at least 1,000 people attended last year's Shoo the Flu event.

"As far as Student Health (Service) is concerned, we generally order enough to give vaccines to those who are at high risk," Walcheske said.

High-risk patients include those with chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, anemia and kidney disease.

Walcheske mentioned a live vaccine called FluMist, which is available by prescription. The medicine is inhaled and is for healthy adults up to 49 years old who are not in contact with high-risk individuals, Walcheske said.

FluMist is not available at Marquette because the necessary storage facilities are not available.

To avoid the flu, Taylor said people should wash their hands, cover their face with tissue when they need to sneeze, eat a well-balanced diet and get plenty of rest.

Walcheske added students should drink lots of fluids and cover their mouths when they need to cough.

"If you have a fever and you're sick call Student Health (Service)," Walcheske said. "It's always a good idea to give us a call."