Council says no to tax levy freeze

The Milwaukee Common Council has approved a budget that will slightly increase the tax levy.

Under the proposed plan that was approved Friday, the tax levy will be 2.37 percent, up from the 2 percent, $203 million levy proposed by Mayor Tom Barrett. It is an increase of $743,000.

"The tax levy by itself is just an agreement about how much revenue to raise to meet service needs," said Janet Boles, associate professor of political science. "The tax rate is the rate an individual homeowner pays. Because property values are going up, the city can continue to collect more tax dollars than it did if the tax rate were lower."

Mayor Barrett proposed a tax rate of $9.22 per $1,000, which would be down 51 cents from this year's rate. The rate would go along with the freeze ordered by the Wisconsin Legislature, Barrett said in his budget speech Sept. 23.

Boles said the freeze is a political initiative from the Republican-controlled state legislature.

"I feel that the Republican-initiated tax freeze is primarily a political ploy, which is essentially to take away local home rule," Boles said.

But the Common Council decided not to go along with the freeze.

The plan allows for an increase of over $600,000 in the police department budget and keeps the fire department budget the same. The council voted nine to six to pass an amendment that moves a police training class from December 2005 to August 2005.

Alderman Bob Bauman, who represents the 4th District, which includes Marquette, said among residents here there is more concern about maintaining city services than about paying a few extra dollars.

"I think the biggest thing to keep in mind is that the choices were very narrow," Bauman said. "The one that probably created the most controversy was probably moving the police recruiting class up three months."

Bauman said he sponsored an amendment that would make the streetlights along West Wisconsin Avenue turn on earlier, but the measure only received four votes.

"It's still a concern of mine and I hope to revisit the issue," Bauman said.

Alderman Bob Donovan of Milwaukee's 8th District said he voted to approve the budget because of the amendments they were able to pass regarding security.

"I guess overall I have a lot of concerns about the budget, but I was pleased that we were able to move up the police class for next year," Donovan said.

Donovan's concerns included the budget cuts from the shared revenue with the state, which have led to personnel and protection cuts.

"There have been some significant cuts in the budget that we had to put forward," Donovan said.

The city also plans to make increases in the health care and sewer system budgets.

City Comptroller Wally Morics said the decisions made by the Common Council were positive.

"I was happy to see the council, instead of using smoke and mirrors, did the honorable thing and came forward and said 'We want these services and we're going to pay for them,'" Morics said. "The mayor and the council know for sure there's some work to do."

Barrett will be able to veto some of the amendments, and the vetoes will be considered by council members at their Nov. 23 meeting.