Open sexuality compared to ‘pornography’

Admittedly, I am a happily married heterosexual. Honestly, I do not feel such a need either to self-identify nor advertise my sexuality. What happens in my bedroom is no one else's business. I would feel violated, insulted and very angry if what went on in my bedroom was constantly being aired through the media. When heterosexuals air what goes on in their bedrooms, it is called pornography. Is airing the homosexual lifestyle and stories about it any different from this?

I do not have a heterosexual flag adorning my home and identifying me as a heterosexual. Why the gay community feels it is necessary to rally and self-identify with a rainbow is beyond me. I do not want to open my life and my bedroom door to the world because it is my private business and no one else's. Period.

Tolerance is an absolute right, as is respect for all others. That said, I do not understand the need for this self-identification nor do I understand this Catholic institution's acceptance of this lifestyle — so openly aired — as if it were a positive action. Since the Catholic Church does not consider homosexuality a sin, but does consider homosexual acts a very serious sin, why is airing the life-style permitted? Libraries and stores cannot openly display pornography. Why is it alright, even in this politically-correct society, to display a lifestyle which promotes unnatural acts?

Tolerance is one thing and promotion of this lifestyle is quite another. Catholic doctrine teaches that all homosexuals who commit sexual acts are sinners. Are we not all sinners when we allow promotion of it within this community?

I recommend the Marquette community change its focus to rich family values if it needs to promote anything.

Family values are the backbone of our society because they are self-sustaining, unlike a homosexual lifestyle which is not. I sincerely believe every person is owed the experience of loving another, no matter whom that person is. Without love, we are just a bunch of animals. Love is a unique, beautiful experience and should never be taken for granted. Love should also not be cheapened and advertised as it is on campus right now.

Holbus is a sophomore political science major.

This article appeared in The Marquette Tribune on Nov. 30, 2004.

Click here to comment on this viewpoint on the Tribune Forum.,”Debra L. Holbus”