Cheney questions Kerry’s background, record

Vice President Dick Cheney visited a Waukesha restaurant Wednesday and said the United States must be aggressive in domestic policy in order to deter terrorists.

Cheney and his wife, Lynne, stopped at Gyro's Corner West, 1586 N. Moreland Road. The vice president held a 40-minute discussion with 13 of his supporters.

Cheney said insurgents from the old regime of Saddam Hussein and Al-Qaeda affiliates are making the war on terror difficult, but the U.S. troops will not leave before they have completed their mission.

Terrorists are looking for more dangerous weapons to attack America with, Cheney said.

"I think the nation will frankly be safer and more secure for our kids and grandkids if we elect George W. Bush commander in chief for the next four years," Cheney said.

Cheney also talked about progress made in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Ten million people were registered to vote in Afghanistan's first democratic elections held Oct. 9, he said, and Iraq will be electing a committee to draft a constitution in January, and elections will be held there next summer.

The vice president questioned Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John Kerry's voting record, saying Kerry had voted on the wrong side of virtually every national security issue during his time in the U.S. Senate.

"I just worry that a guy with (Kerry's) background, his approach and his mindset … is not that kind of someone who will actively and aggressively pursue this war on terror," Cheney said.

Cheney took questions from the group of supporters sitting at a table.

Steve Ziegler, the owner of InPro, a small business, asked if Bush's tax cuts would stay in place.

Cheney said the Bush administration wants to make the tax cuts permanent.

Ray Boland, a Vietnam veteran and chairman of Bush-Cheney '04 Wisconsin Veterans, said he saw no need for a military draft while soldiers are under good leadership.

Cheney said there are no plans to have a draft.

"I don't know anybody who thinks it makes sense to go back to the draft," Cheney said.

Cheney answered a question from Tom Fotsch, the CEO of Omnitech, about small businesses working with the government to provide affordable health care. Cheney said he and Bush have plans to set up health savings accounts that allow people to deposit money to pay for their health care costs, and they are looking to allow businesses to receive a tax credit to contribute to those accounts.

A crowd of about 50 Bush supporters stood outside the restaurant, waving signs and chanting "Kerry is scary" and "four more years."

Bush "is just a good guy, he stays on one thing, he doesn't change every week and I trust him, which is more than I can say for" Kerry, said Rob Steuernagel, 36, of Waukesha.

Across the street, about 25 people held Kerry signs and answered the Bush supporters chants with chants of "six more days."

Andrea Frank, 48, of New Berlin, supports Kerry "because he's a man of integrity who actually served his country and he knows what real war is. He fought in an ill-conceived war and hopefully he'll help end an ill-conceived war."

Cheney's Waukesha stop was part of his last week of campaigning before Tuesday's general election.