5-alarm fire guts east side housing complex

A five-alarm fire gutted a three-story housing duplex and caused damage to two neighboring apartment buildings on the east side near the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee's campus Friday afternoon, according to police.

The fire started at the housing duplex at 1851 N. Cambridge Ave. The first alarm sounded at 2:30 p.m.

A 30-year-old man broke his back and right ankle when he jumped from a third-story window of the duplex to escape the fire. He jumped onto a second-floor porch, according to Milwaukee Police Department Public Information Office Sgt. Ken Henning. The man then jumped to the ground and landed on a detective and a civilian, neither of whom was injured.

The man is currently in stable condition at Columbia St. Mary's Medical Center.

Five firefighters also were treated for minor injuries in the fire.

More than 90 firefighters and 32 vehicles responded to the blaze, which was completely extinguished after almost three hours.

The last alarm sounded at 3:10 p.m., Henning said. He said the cause of the fire has not been determined.

"I got here and my house was on fire," said Alexia Stath, 23, a 2004 alumna of the College of Communication. Stath lives next door, in an apartment building at 1843 Cambridge Ave., which had smoke damage and windows broken by firefighters.

"I'm pretty sure my apartment's been engulfed in smoke since both the windows were open," she said.

"When we got here there were flames shooting out of the windows and off the porch," said Brianna Jerger, who lives on Arlington Place near the building.