MUSG primary trims Senate tickets

After Tuesday's U.S. Senate primary, students have another primary to vote in Wednesday—the Marquette Student Government residential hall senate primary.

Only O'Donnell Hall and Straz Tower require a primary election, according to MUSG elections coordinator, College of Arts & Sciences junior Brad Held.

The four candidates running for the one O'Donnell seat include College of Arts & Sciences freshmen Brock Banks and Matt Filter, College of Communication freshman Pat Biernacki and College of Business Administration freshman Paul Anthony Simenauer.

The three candidates running for the one Straz Tower seat include College of Arts and Sciences freshman Hannah Barnet, College of Health Sciences freshman Ryan Dulde and College of Business Administration sophomore Jake Mentch.

Residents of O'Donnell Hall and Straz Tower may vote in the primary election outside the dining halls during lunch and dinner hours from 11:15 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Held said.

Students will vote on Scantron ballots and must bring their MarquetteCard. Held said MUSG will verify students' residency as they tally the votes.

The results should be available late Thursday morning, Held said. The results will be posted outside the MUSG office, AMU 133, and on the MUSG Web site, musg.mu.edu.

O'Donnell Hall candidate Banks said he would work to make sure MUSG was "fiscally responsible" in its funding of student organizations.

Biernacki said many residents have been discussing the quality of the food in O'Donnell's dining hall and said he would work through MUSG to see what improvements can be made.

Filter said he was not aware of any major issues O'Donnell residents have but as issues arise, he would work to best represent his hall.

Straz Tower candidate Dulde said he was not aware of any issues right now but plans to "keep his eyes and ears open" to the concerns of his residents.

Mentch said he wants to establish a small-town atmosphere at Straz.

Simenauer and Barnet could not be reached for comment.