Fest gives students after-class options

Marquette students looking to get involved this school year can attend O-Fest, a biannual festival in which students are given the opportunity to learn more about Marquette's extracurricular activities. O-Fest, sponsored by the Office of Student Development, will be held Thursday from 1 to 4 p.m., behind the John P. Raynor, S.J. Library on the Central Mall.

The event is held each semester during the first week of classes. O-Fest and is meant to showcase the diverse range of Marquette student organizations. Students will be able to talk with current organization members to find out more about each group.

According to Pamela Peters, coordinator for student organizations and leadership, O-Fest exists primarily for organizations to get their names out, but departments are also allowed to take part in the event. This allows students to learn more about majors and academic life as well.

Jessica Vogel, a College of Arts & Sciences freshman, said she plans to attend and is already interested in joining the Marquette College Democrats and the Irish Club. Others — like Dani Olson, College of Engineering freshman — said they aren't sure what organizations exist but intend to find out during O-Fest.

Assistant Dean of Student Development Jon Dooley said he encourages freshman and upper classmen to attend the festival. He said the festival "helps more than just freshman" and is "more personal than websites."

Students who become involved in activities outside of the classroom are often more successful in school than those not involved, Dooley said.

He said he believes that students who belong to organizations have a "richer, more well-rounded experience" in college.

Pamela Peters said 190 clubs —— 50 more than last semester — are registered to participate in this year's festival. To accommodate this growth, O-Fest has moved from the Alumni Memorial Union's West Town Square to the Central Mall. In case of rain, the festival will move to the AMU Ballrooms, located on the third floor of the union.

Groups represented at O-Fest include the Bayanihan Student Organization, Big Brothers, Big Sisters, Circle K International and Hype Dance Marquette as well as Greek and academic organizations and club sports. More information on the groups present at O-Fest is available online at http://www.marquette.edu/osd/organizations/ofest_groups.html.